Saturday, November 15, 2008

Well, Howdy!

Hello, there!

How lucky I feel to have to been asked to join forces with these esteemed writers! The last few weeks have seemed like a happy dream, and this just adds to the happiness.

Quick bio: I live in Oakland with my wife, Lala, who plays the banjo. We have three dogs, four cats, many spinning wheels, and even more instruments. I got my MFA at Mills College, and of course, like everyone else, I've wanted to Be A Writer since I was six or seven years old. I've written Yarnagogo since the dark ages, when there were only 30 or 40 knitbloggers out there. Remember that? I love the knitting world, everything about it.

The fact that the dream is coming true is kind of extraordinarily hard to comprehend. It kind of feels like the top of my head has just blown right off. You know?

THE CALL:
From my blog post

I started the coffee. I blearily rubbed my eyes. I sat at the computer to work.

Now, my normal M.O. is to sit and write for about an hour or so before I allow myself to check email or anything online. I don’t turn my airport connection off, though, because I like to write with Pandora playing in the background, so I need to be online. So I don’t check email, but my email notifier still comes through, because I’m too lazy to disable it.

I opened the document I had last been working on. I stared at it. My eyes might have crossed in sleepiness, I’m not sure.

My computer bing-ed and I saw a message come in. My gmail notifier lets me see who sent it and displays the first sentence.

The email was from Susanna. It said, “Call me as soon as you wake up.”

Yeah. Yeah!

My heart started to race. Literally. As I dialed her number, my hands were shaking. With delight in her voice, she told me that Avon (a division of HarperCollins) wanted my book! Wanted to BUY it!

Not only that, but they wanted a THREE-BOOK DEAL.

I looked up, out the window, while she was talking. Was I still dreaming? The dream I’d had right before waking up had been so good, so vivid. Was this just an extension of the dream? Was I still in bed? I remember seeing the pigeons that I hate perched up on the eave outside my window. I didn’t think I’d see the pigeons if it was just a good dream. I loved those pigeons at that moment. I think I asked Susanna that, who assured me, no, I wasn’t dreaming.

So now, I'm working on Nanowrimo. Hopefully I'm writing the second book in the series (Eliza's Cottage was originally a Nano from 2006), but the point of Nanowrimo is to write hard and fast, and get a novel done in a month. I'm aiming for 75,000 words, and I'm okay with all the words being total crap -- I'll sort it out later. December is reserved for a final pass-through on Eliza's Cottage, whose due date is January.

Tonight I have a reading at KnitOneOne in Berkeley, and I'm SO nervous about it. Wish me luck.

It's the dream. But I'm really writing. Really writing. And loving every minute of it. Thanks for letting me say hello, and I look forward to being here!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

FABULOUS!!!!!!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Welcome, Rachael! Many, many congratulations on THE CALL! What a wonderful moment to relive with you! It is a truly sublime experience.

Keep us posted on the progress of your book through the publishing process. It's fun to hear what stage you're in.

I checked out all the stunning projects you've designed and knitted on your Yarnagogo blog. Wow! I'm in awe of those who don't need a pattern to produce such gorgeousness.

Great to have you here at RTY!

11:30 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Rachael, did you knock 'em dead last night? (Yes, I peeked at your blog so I know the answer.) You did!

6:05 PM  
Blogger LisaB said...

Wow, what an exciting thing to wake up to! I am going to have to look for you in print, and of course, check out your blog.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home