Sunday, November 09, 2008

Ocean Breezes by Sheryl Thies: a sampler


I fell in love with Sheryl Thies and OCEAN BREEZES the second I saw the cover. And even though I made a total hash of Sea Foam (remember the smush of blues and greens from a few months back that looked like yarn road kill?) the patterns continued to intrigue me.

So one day I was sitting on the sofa watching bad tv (E!'s GIRLS NEXT DOOR - don't tell anybody) and I noticed that some leftover Berroco Comfort and a US7 circ were lying on the table next to OCEAN BREEZES. So I decided to start playing around with the different patterns just to see what I liked and didn't like and next thing I knew I had a very strange sampler.

I guess you could say I love to doodle with yarn. No-commitment knitting for those times when your hands long for the activity but your heart refuses to make any promises those hands won't end up keeping. Comfort is all wrong for these patterns. The needle was probably all wrong too. But it didn't matter. I tried out some terrific scarf patterns, learned a lot, and had a ball. Definitely at least a half dozen I'd like to knit up with something soft and pretty.





Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

OH, how did you do that star? I want to put it on a sweater!If I ever get up the courage again to do sweaters, that is...

8:49 AM  
Blogger Mary Anne Mohanraj said...

Fun sampler! My favorite is coral branches; very artsy, especially in the white.

9:19 AM  
Blogger teabird said...

I like the starfish best - a symbol of regeneration.
(It's a wonderful book - haven't tried the patterns, yet.)

Oh - I read half of Casting Spells yesterday. Love it!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

My mouth is hanging open at the beauty and variety of the patterns in your sampler. Wow!

Since we're picking favorites, I have to go for the ocean currents.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home