Monday, November 17, 2008

First Sock!


Yesterday, I finished one of the socks I'm making Kevin, using this free toe-up crochet pattern, super-simple to make (it's all single crochet). I did it in Lion's Brand Wool-Ease, a wool-acrylic blend in 'woods print', pleasant to work with, machine-washable, and cheap! (on sale $2/2.5 oz.) Some reviewers note pilling problems over repeated washings, but I'm not going to worry about that for socks. For now, I'm liking this yarn a lot, and will probably be buying more of it.

The sock ended up a little big, but I'm expecting the wool to shrink when washed. I'm not sure how to account for that, actually. Do I trust that Kev will always wash them in cold and dry flat, so they don't shrink at all? That seems a lot to ask of a man and his socks. If I just throw it in with the other laundry, will it keep shrinking every time it's washed? I had a cashmere sweater that did that (accidentally got into the laundry a few times instead of being dry-cleaned), and it was very sad. How do other sock-makers deal with this?

The sock is pretty darn comfy; the wool blend feels very nice on the toesies. I could just buy him wool socks, of course, which would be way more efficient and even cheaper. I'm not sure how long my sock enthusiasm will last. Right now, I'm just charmed by the very idea of crocheting a sock for Kevin. It's so insanely domestic. Old friends Tasos and Alex were around when I was working on it yesterday, and Tasos commented that once the socks were done, Kevin would have to wear them constantly or I would get upset. I think that might be true, because I am ridiculously proud of my not-so-little sock. Maybe once I make more socks, I'll get over it. For now, I'll enjoy feeling like an old-time gal, making socks for her man (and eventually complaining about how he goes through the heels so fast. :-)

5 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Mary Anne, I've made five or six pair of socks with Wool-Ease over the last few years and they're wearing beautifully. My husband does 90% of the laundry and he doesn't have the patience for hand washing and drying flat and all that jazz. He tosses his Wool-Eases into the wash with sheets and towels (warm wash, cold rinse) and then straight into the dryer and they look as good as they did the day I cast off. No shrinking. No pilling. I think Wool-Ease is an underappreciated treasure.

6:11 PM  
Blogger kshotz said...

I think it's cool to see crochet socks! Being only familiar with the knit version, I've always been curious about crochet ones.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's definitely a little bulky, almost halfway in between a slipper and a sock? We'll see if he can actually get them on under shoes. :-)

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never made socks out of wool-ease. But for two yarns that have definately stood the test of washer and dryer--Patton's Kroy and Opal. They may not be my softest socks, but they survive well in the land of laundry.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow… I will also try it & will buy yarn for it through Joann Fabrics.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home