Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My First Log Cabin

I make no apologies: I developed my color sense while eating a bag of Halloween candy corn.

Yellow and orange are my favorite colors. I have loved yellow and orange from the moment I grasped my first Crayola in my hot little hand. Yellow and orange make me happy.

My first married kitchen was yellow and orange. So was my second. And my third. And my fourth. I painted our first bedroom to look like the outside of a pumpkin and accented it with bright yellow. You needed sunglasses at midnight. During the summer of 1968 when everyone else was out protesting the War, I was crocheting a yellow and orange blanket to take with me to Omaha that fall where I would be starting a new life as an eighteen year old bride. Imagine a queen-size afghan, all single crochet, all orange and yellow.

So is it any surprise that my first attempt at Log Cabin (big shout-out to the ladies at Mason-Dixon for the inspiration) would be yellow and orange? Stash yarn: Sirdar Nova. Knit Picks Harmony circs US9. I am loving every second. Actually I am loving it even more than EZ's Garter Stitch Blanket. It's like knitting sunshine.

What can I say? Yellow and orange make me happy. Knitting makes me happy. These days that's not a small thing.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

Love it! I'm one of those individuals that tends to lean toward bright and flashy! ;)

5:31 PM  
Blogger T.M. said...

I like the colors! Just made myself a pair of socks that are in that color scheme. Makes me hungry for some candy corn.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Erin M. Hartshorn said...

I love the idea of a knitted log cabin! I might have to try that this winter. Is there a pattern, or just stockinette in the size that looks right?

5:08 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Random Walk Writer, here's where you can find out all you need to know about knitting a Log Cabin: http://www.masondixonknitting.com/archives/2004_02.html#000290

You can also find it in the first of their wonderful, highly recommended books Mason-Dixon Knitting. Do yourself a favor and scoop them up!

Thanks lovs2knit and t.m. for the kind words. Unfortunately I've been munching candy corn all day as a result of posting the photo . . .

9:06 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Hey, when you find colors you like, use them! And when they are pretty happy sunshine colors, so much the better.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Erin M. Hartshorn said...

Thanks for the link!

By the way, I've added Casting a Spell to my wish list for Christmas.

3:44 PM  
Blogger teabird said...

What's better than candy corn? Isn't it everyone's guilty pleasure?

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home