Monday, October 13, 2008

Brave new worlds



If Barbara is brave enough to show you her socks (which are not butt ugly) then I can publish the above photo. Ignore the model -- the purpose is to show off the little lace top I knit from the Knit N Style pattern sent to me by Elizabeth Delisi.

You may recall that back in June I put out a call for this pattern. I wanted to knit the top to be part of a belly dancing outfit. Yes, when I'm not writing or knitting, I belly dance.

This is knit with a shiny Viscose/Polyester Yarn from Italy called New Smoking. Very odd name, I thought. The photo doesn't do it justice -- the yarn is a brilliant blue with shiny blue flecks. Almost metallic. As much as I tinked this thing, there are still a few mistakes, which is why I won't be posting a close-up. But the shiny, sparkly blue yarn and intricate pattern distract from any errors. The top turned out very nice and my dance class is very impressed. The top is comfortable and doesn't ride up when I raise my hands -- another big plus.

I have 3 1/2 balls of this left over. It was a special order from my LYS. I'm debating what I could make with that amount of yarn. Not lace, I don't think. At least not right away. I found the process very nerve-wracking and frustrating.

Right now I'm knitting another pair of socks. Comfortable, easy and portable.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Nephele said...

They have an older yarn called "No Smoking" and I think this was a varient on the same theme. Of course that still leaves us wondering why they named the first one that way...

5:33 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Gorgeous yarn and very cool top! Even cooler is that you belly dance. I've always wanted to try that but couldn't quite get up the nerve. I love to dance and think the costumes are fabulous (like your blue top) but the undulations look pretty tough.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

CINDI!!! I love the knitting but OMG your tat!! When did you do it? Where (geographically speaking) did you do it? What made you choose a spot that you couldn't admire without a mirror?
(Yes, I'm nosy. Feel free to ignore.)
Remember Sandra Marton? She was one of our original RTYers. She and her husband just returned from a cruise around the Greek Islands. They stopped off in Istanbul and saw some fabulous belly dancing. She has a small video up on her website www.sandramarton.com -- made me think of you!

11:34 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Delisi said...

It came out beautifully! So glad the pattern worked out for you. Now we just need to get you to post a YouTube video of you, dancing in it... :-)

Liz

10:10 AM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

I didn't know about the No Smoking yarn, nephele -- how funny.

Nancy, I've been taking classes almost two years and am just now beginning to be able to do undulations.

Barbara -- I'm glad you like my tat. I have two others in front where I can see them. I have a woman artist in Denver who has done them all. This one -- two whooping cranes -- represents my husband and me. (Cranes mate for life, plus there's a song we like that references this.) Jim has the same tat on his thigh.

Elizabeth -- Maybe one day I'll be brave enough for the video.

10:19 AM  
Blogger kshotz said...

Belly dancing...you ladies are THE most interesting people on the planet! I love it! The top is, I'm betting, just perfect for the job!

Kim in IA

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home