Thursday, October 30, 2008

Caroline can't knit fingers on gloves but she can make mits!

I tried, I really tried to make gloves with fingers and after sixteen or so tries, I gave up and made these easy-as-pie fingerless mitts with a thumb!  I'm going to embroider something on them and give them out as gifts.

So, am I missing a secret for making the fingers? it just made me crazy and the stitches kept falling off the needles when I was trying to do them in the round.  Maybe I should try on two needles?  Or maybe I should just make more of these quick mitts!

5 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Caroline, much sympathy on the finger problem! I have issues with socks so I can understand your frustration.

Something I did for my daughter when she was in the marching band was to knit fingerless mitts and then add a flap that could be pulled over the fingers to make a mitten. It worked great for outdoor rehearsals in cold weather. When she was playing she took the flap off; when she was just marching she flipped it back over her freezing digits. And it avoided the finger knitting frustration.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

OH what a great idea! Does the flap attach or do you just tuck it in?

8:38 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Caroline, one word: beads! I jazzed up a pair of Fetching with a few artfully (okay, maybe not so artfully) applied beads interspersed among the cables and it worked great. (Silver beads on black cashmerino aran.)

9:29 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Caroline, the flap was attached at the back of the hand. You can add a button and loop at the end to keep it from flapping when it's not over the fingers. However, my daughter didn't want the button; she said she'd never use it.

9:45 AM  
Blogger kshotz said...

These look terrific! And I second Nancy's suggestion about the flap; I did the same for my clarinetist.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home