Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Progress Report: Lace Scarf and Life Upheaval


Twenty-eight inches of lace scarf; that's all I've done knitting-wise in forever. I'm bored with it and I've decided that when my ball of Kraemer Sterling Silk and Silver runs out, the scarf is finished. What is the shortest length you think a scarf can be and still legitimately be considered a scarf?
I've been remiss in my knitting and blogging duties because I've had a Life Upheaval. My oldest child, Darling Daughter, went away to college for the first time last week. I spent three days curled into a ball of misery, trying to sleep the time away until she returns in October for a long weekend. Finally, I snapped out of it. After all, I still have a husband and son at home to take care of. Also, every time I spoke with DD she was bubbling over with excitement about her new friends, new professors, new classes and new location. How could I continue to be sad when her world was opening up for her? It was pure self-pity at that point and I have no patience with self-pity on a long-term basis.
Instead I've been reading the utterly delightful volume of essays which Fran's Delphi Books just published called A Place in the Shower Schedule by Roger Aylworth . It makes me laugh and get teary-eyed, sometimes at the same time. Roger Aylworth writes with great charm and self-deprecating humor about raising seven (!) children, owning "MAH TRUCK" (he captures my joy in my own gas-guzzling SUV perfectly), moving from one house to another, and various other experiences of every day life. I'd love to meet him in person because he must be great company.
So, any thoughts on the question of scarf length?

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

I was going to say 40 inches but maybe you could get away with 36 inches if you use it just to fill in the neckline of a coat or jacket. Maybe. It's so beautiful though, Nancy.

Hugs about DD. It's always hardest being the one left behind.

9:19 PM  
Blogger teabird said...

I agree with Barbara, especially in a stretchy pattern.
It looks beautiful!

11:32 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Oh, Nancy, that scarf is beautiful. It would look just perfect tucked into a neckline, as BB suggested. Or just draped around the neck and worn with the ends hanging loose over the shoulders. Lace is one thing I've been afraid to tackle but you've done a masterful job of it.

I'm glad you're enjoying the book - it may be the just antidote for your current empty-nest blues. Like you, I've laughed or teared up at certain passages.

Let me just comfort you by saying that from all your previous posts about your duties with your daughter's HS band, you seem to have prepared her perfectly for her college experience. Speaking as someone who's "been there, done that," let me also assure you that she'll be back. And she'll think she knows it all, certainly more than you - LOL! Then a few years later, she'll realize you know something too.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Nephele said...

I think if it hangs around your neck without falling off constantly and YOU are happy with it, then any length is fine.

10:45 AM  
Blogger georg said...

Can you put an end on a shoulder, wrap once around the neck and have enough overlap to pin it or stuff inside a coat? Then that's good enough.

I am making my father cowls for Kissmoose. That's just the turtleneck from a turtleneck sweater. And it'll keep his neck warm, and he'll enjoy it.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Thanks for all your good advice about scarf length! I think I can manage to add 12 more inches to it. If the yarn runs out a bit early, the blocking should help since you've mentioned that one blocks lace "hard". It is quite stretchy and I think it will at least serve as a decoration. I'm glad you all think it's worthwhile and attractive.

I'm not sure I'll keep it for myself since I'm kind of tired of looking at it. I just have to figure out which relative will know how to wear it with flair. ;-)

Thanks also for your kind words about DD flying from the nest. I know she'll be back but I also know she will never be quite as much "mine" again and I think that's what I was mourning.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your scarf is beautiful, but when the yarn runs out you're done! You can always use a pretty shawl pin to keep it closed but you should have plenty to drape over in a loose knot. And don't worry about the kids leaving -- they ALWAYS come back and, from my experience, they bring more with them in the form of grandchildren!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Oh gosh, Jane, I'm not ready for grandchildren quite yet! :-) I can, however, see the pleasures of spoiling them rotten and then handing them back to my children to deal with as I had to deal with them when they were rugrats.(Cue evil laughter.)

2:56 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

hugs on your daughter's leaving the nest, Nancy!

As for the scarf, I think if it's long enough to wrap around your neck and cross the ends, it can be long enough. It looks beautiful.

Cindi

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say if it wraps around your neck with enough left over to tuck in a coat, it's good!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Your answers are all making me feel better about ending the scarf when the yarn runs out. The irony is that all of a sudden the ball of Sterling and Silk seems absolutely endless! The more I knit the more seems to be left in the ball.

I think one of Barbara's knitting spells has been cast on my skein.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

I have seen tiny little scarfs tht just tie about your neck--your scarf looks long enough for that.

And I feel for you about your daughter. My Max is only 12, but already I feel that push/pull. You want them to have their whole life opening up, but you also realize that means you are left behind. I remember when I was 17, I couldn't wait to get out of the house, and Now i feel the parent side more!

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home