Friday, March 07, 2008

New Year's Resolution revisited



You may remember that one of my New Year's knitting resolutions was to learn Entrelac knitting. I originally thought I'd make a scarf as my practice piece, but the truth is, I have a lot of scarves. So I decided instead to make a case for my Alpha-Smart keyboard.

Teaching myself entrelac was a real challenge. First, I looked online for directions and patterns. I found plenty of them. I had a skein of Red Heart variagated yarn I bought at a church rummage sale for 25 cents. I sat down with the first set of directions and began.

And was hopelessly lost by the second step. Ripped it out and started over. Again, everything was soon a tangle.

I decided I needed different directions. Started over. Another mess.

And so it went. But I'm stubborn enough I refused to give up. After much trial and error I figured it out

So here are the lessons I learned in my adventure in Entrelac:

1. Learning a new skill with cheap yarn is less intimidating. I had no qualms about ripping out and starting over multiple times. (And the yarn I used is really quite lovely.)

2. If one set of directions doesn't work for you, try another. I had success with the third set of directions I printed out. Different people have different ways of explaining things and this is the one that clicked with me.

3. Remember to breathe! I tense up when learning a new skill and have to remind myself to relax and have fun with it.

Right now, I'm taking a class to learn to knit two socks on two circulars at my LYS (Yes -- we finally HAVE a LYS here in the hinterlands, a very nice one.) Another challenging technique, but I think I'm finally getting the hang of it.

So -- what new skills have you tackled lately?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger kshotz said...

Hi Cindi!

I haven't "tackled" it yet, but I just ordered my first lace-weight yarn and plan to begin my first ever lace shawl when it arrives.

Wish me luck!
Kim

11:57 AM  
Blogger kshotz said...

ps....kudos on the entrelac! It looks lovely!

Kim

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's also a "garter-lac" dishcloth out there on the webs. Google it, and you get a free pattern for a very cute dishcloth!

1:23 PM  
Blogger georg said...

I learned the Turkish cast on for Toe-Up Socks! (And I'd be happy to teach Nancy ;)

3:03 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

Good luck with the lace, Kim. I bet the shawl turns out lovely. And toe-up socks are still on my list of things I want to learn, Georg.

I'm going to look for that dishcloth pattern, Cathy. I need some new dishcloths.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Pretty entrelac, Cindi! I'm still struggling with socks but think I finally have them down - well, not pat but close to it.

Right now I'm working on an afghan for my cousin's housewarming next month. More on that later.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home