Thursday, February 07, 2008

Very bad influences

You all are very, very bad influences! I have started down yet another slippery slope and it's all your fault. See that beautiful cream yarn with the flecks of sparkling silver (yes, real sterling silver!) in it? I bought that at my LYS yesterday JUST BECAUSE I LIKED IT. Never before have I bought yarn JUST BECAUSE I LIKED IT. I always had a project in mind or a compelling reason for my purchase (like the Quiviuk you all raved about). But you kept talking about your yarn stashes so I was led astray.


Yarn details: Kraemer "Sterling Silk and Silver", 63% superwash merino, 20% silk, 15% nylon, 2% silver.

My rationalization is that I'm going to use it to practice lace knitting so that I will be a pro when I start the Quiviuk (also your fault as I mentioned above) project. But I am not kidding myself here. I just WANTED it and that's the real reason I scooped it up off the display table and took it to the cash register.

And another thing: I decided to felt stuff tonight, something you bloggers introduced me to, and went roaring around the house, ripping off pillow cases to get at the pillow covers beneath so I could put my felting projects in them before throwing them in the washing machine. My family thinks I'm insane! Your fault!

Now I subscribe to TWO knitting magazines you all recommended. I'm laying that at your doorstep too!

At least I foiled you in your dastardly attempts to get me addicted to socks. Ha!

What new vice will you introduce me to next? I tremble to think.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy, another great addiction is the lace stole/shawl knit-alongs on the Yahoo groups. I signed up for one and am liking it so much, I've signed up for three others that start at various staggered times through March. We have Stitches West coming up in two weeks here in California so I will be adding to my stash, I'm sure...not that I need anything more. Your silvery yarn looks lovely.

Vicki Tallman

3:09 AM  
Blogger georg said...

Slippers!
(giggle)

I'm so nuts on socks I joined this: http://www.nysfarm.com/sockclub.htm

And I only recently started reading patterns. I'm insane, i'm sure. This is the same artist who created Vintage http://www.nysfarm.com/vintage.htm As seen on The Yarn Harlot's blog.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

I'm not generally a stasher, but I think EVERYONE has to have a ball of Sterling in their house. I have the red. Mmmmmmmmmm.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Holly in CT said...

Now YOU are a bad influence on me! What is the brand of the yarn I MUST have some for my own self.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Yikes! Stitches West is in two weeks? How did I miss that?

You know Nancy, I think that socks are fun but lace is more so. Have fun playing with your stash! Even just petting yarn is a great, and enjoyable, pastime.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Oh please, oh please, tell me I'm not going to get hooked on lace! I am already a scarf/shawl addict. Lace knitting will only enable me even more.

Slippers? Now there's a thought. I love warm toasty slippers. And I bet you can make nice felted ones. (Did I mention I love felting?)

Sterling comes in red!??!! NOW look what you've done: I'm going to have to have the red too.

Holly, it's Kraemer Sterling.

Nicole, I so enjoy petting yarn that it gets embarassing at my LYS. I keep waiting for Mr. Whipple to admonish me not to squeeze the skeins.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

I've got news for you, Ms. Herkness. You're something of a bad influence yourself! Now that I've seen that Sterling, I've got to have some of my own. And guess whose birthday is Monday? LOL, my husband has no idea what he's going to be buying me!

9:26 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Okay, Fran, now I've had my revenge and I feel much better. It's good to know I can steer fellow knitters onto the path to perdition. LOL!

If I don't get to "talk" to you on Monday, many happy returns of the day!

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lace is fun! All the pretty patterns out there.... *giggle*

And the third color that comes in is black. At least according to the Patternworks catalog I got. I haven't seen it in person yet. :)

And Happy Birthday to Fran!

9:13 AM  
Blogger LauraP said...

It's a slippery slope. I'm so glad to see you're sliding down with the rest of us! And oh my, that yarn is beautiful.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bought one red, one white and one green skein of the Sterling -- I'm planning to knit three Christmas stockings and then have fun with the left overs.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home