Monday, February 18, 2008

Tribbowl

Have I mentioned my teen-aged daughter is a bit of a slob? I was in her room the other day and decided a felted bowl might help de-clutter her dresser. So I enlisted Barbara Bretton the Bowl Goddess' help to fashion a container for the mess. I wanted to make the bowl a little funky since it's for a teenager. However, I think I went overboard and I have christened it "The Tribbowl". Any Trekkies out there who know what I'm talking about?

Here it is. To be fair, my DD loves it and it has indeed calmed the clutter.


Side view:




Top view:




I had some Lamb's Pride Bulky left over from the felted box I knitted awhile ago so I used that doubled (which makes the bowl incredibly sturdy I must say). I added the fuzzy novelty yarn because my DD bought it for me on a band trip to Washington (such a thoughtful child!). Of course, I ran out of the Lamb's Pride right as I got to the final four or five rows and had to make an emergency jaunt to the LYS. Hence the yellow spot on the bottom; I couldn't stand waiting for them to order matching yarn for such an impulsive project. And I kind of like the color scheme.


Just for an extra challenge, I used the long tail method of casting on because I found instructions on how to join it in circular knitting. With doubled yarn, it's a bit bulky but I can see it being very smooth with a single strand. Here's the link in case you're intrigued:




BTW, I hold Barbara completely blameless for the end result of this bowl. She gave me a perfectly good pattern and I got in, ahem, tribble with it.




Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger monica said...

I wonder if that would help either of my daughters. Esp for holding their pony tail holders and barretts. I have spent a small fortune on hair products since they don't put them away.

The bowl looks very nice.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I highly recommend the bowl for hair accessories. That's what my DD is using it for.

Not only that but it seems to have provided inspiration: she cleaned up her entire room this weekend! It's a miracle!

7:26 PM  
Blogger monica said...

Well, I will definitely make a few then. We have been trying for months to get the youngest to clean her room. If a felted bowl will do the trick, I will make several of them.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Hope it works! :-)

11:44 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

I love the bowl, Nancy! It looks like so much fun.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Great bowl! And the puns, too... erg.

But, a very good use for novelty yarn. Looks great.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home