Tuesday, February 26, 2008

It's so easy



Last time my older daughter visited, I gleefully showed her my new yarns and all the patterns in the pile of projects up for consideration. I was hoping she'd do what she usually does and tell me what to make her for Christmas next year. She didn't pick anything from the pile though. Nope, what she really wanted was a fuzzy cowl just like mine.

That cowl is ancient. It was my first attempt at knitting in the round. I used ivory-colored Jiffy yarn from the bargain bin and the pattern on the backside of the wrapper. For ten years, I've done winter chores with that ugly bunch of yarn bunched around my neck -- or maybe pulled up over my ears. If I wasn't wearing it, one of the girls had it. It's been through the washer countless times to remove the kind of unpleasantly fragrant dirt one picks up in a barn, and I've probably picked a couple of bales worth of hay bits from it through the years.



I tried tempting her patterns for scarves, a cabled neckwarmer with a pretty button, and a lace mobieus. Nope, she wanted a cowl like mine. I offered her mine, but she didn't think ivory was her color. Fortunately, I have the equivalent of a small yarn store in my attic. Deep in a back corner, I unearthed a Rubbermaid tub full of Jiffy skeins from the bargain bin -- none of which had the right pattern on the wrapper. In the guest room closet I found the needle set I used for the original. Then I sat down and counted stitches and rows and sections.




After a few evenings' worth of knitting, it was time for show and tell. I was having an indecisive day though. I couldn't decide whether I liked the photo taken on the oak table (top) or the one where I draped the work in progress over the garden fence. I like outdoor pictures better most of the time, but it was early morning and I could either shoot into the sunlight or deal with the sunlight & shadow issues from the garden gate, the stone wall . . . and me.



I tried another fence. I draped it over a limb, then a big flower pot. Then I tried this big tree stump. What do you think? Where's the best place to photograph a winter work-in-progress?


Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I vote for the tree stump. You've got the snow and the interesting texture of the wood and the wonderful play of light and shadow which shows off the surface of the knitting as well. Like you, I prefer outdoor shots but I'm often too lazy to put on my winter coat and take my knitting outside. You've inspired me though; my next photos will be at one with Mother Nature, even if I'm shivering.

Love the color of the cowl; such a nice soft deep blue.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Nephele said...

I think the best place to photograph winter projects is Tahiti ;-)

I like the tree stump too.

2:32 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

Tahiti - why didn't I think of that? You are so right!

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home