Thursday, December 06, 2007

Pure Bliss!



<--before

It's been a week. A bad week. A stinking bad week. I'll say one word about it and we won't speak of it again.

Dentist.

I needed something to put a smile on my (sore) (swollen) (miserable) face and I am here to tell you that the Vintage Velvet Scarf from Scarf Style did the trick.

Yes, I finished knitting it: 5 balls of luxurious, glorious Muench Touch Me in a rich deep green. Five and a half feet of lush fabric, broken ribbing on either side of a thick reversible 6/6 cable. Now came the fun part: it was time to felt it.

I had to build up my courage before tossing $80 worth of hand-knit scarf into my 20+ year old Whirlpool. I had me a moment there when my life passed before my (red-rimmed) (tired) eyes. But there was no turning back. My dear friend's Big Occasion was nigh and it was do or die. So in it went. I swear to you I held my breath for forty-five long minutes. I checked its progress and literally gasped in delight when I saw it. Sodden, shrunken, but more gorgeous than I ever could have imagined!

And then into the dryer. This really freaked me out. But I did it anyway and I am so glad I did. (Such courage!) (Such fortitude!) I took it out per instructions when it was still slightly damp, stretched it out on my space board and sat gazing at it lovingly for two days while it finished (slowly) drying.





It's a work of art! A triumph! A masterpiece! And no thanks at all to my knitting: it's all due to Touch Me, hot water, agitation, and magic. Yes, magic. Nothing else can explain the transformation. Sheer unadulterated magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!









I needed a lift this week and oh baby did knitting ever provide one! I'm flying high. I'm writing fast and furious. I swear my (poor battered) jaw doesn't hurt any more. Best of all, the scarf is now on its way to a woman I love very much, sent with 20+ years of friendship and admiration. Happy Birthday, Bertrice Small!

This was so much fun that I feel a contest coming on. Details tomorrow!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Absolutely stunning! Bertrice is a lucky lady, not just because she gets the gorgeous scarf but because she has you as a friend.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

Beautiful!

I feel your pain. I have one of those dreaded visits coming up in Jan.

4:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barbara! Your scarf is GORGEOUS! Absolutely beautiful.

8:11 AM  
Blogger LauraP said...

So very beautiful, and that deep green -- lovely color choice.

My condolences on the painful week. I'm having sympathy pain in my jaw just thinking about it.

9:22 AM  
Blogger ikkinlala said...

What a beautiful scarf!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

YOu have my sympathies on the dentist.
And the scarf is fabulous!

6:59 PM  
Blogger ~Tonia~ said...

Wow!!! I would have never thought that it would have gone from looking like a wool yarn to looking like velvet.

9:46 PM  
Blogger WendyKnits said...

i LOVE it -- the softness, the color . . . swoon!

My sympathies on the D-word.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Dallas Schulze said...

Gorgeous, truly gorgeous! I'm impressed by your courage.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Kenyetta said...

That is gorgeous! I love the before and after.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home