Thursday, December 06, 2007

The same only different

Do you remember how I poked fun (in a very friendly way, of course) at some of you veteran knitters for having multiple projects "on the needles"? I certainly remember your polite restraint since I'm sure you were justifiably laughing behind your hands at the newbie's presumption in chiding you for that.

Well, I am duly humbled because I have discovered the virtues of having a project "on the needles" for those days when you don't have the time or the mental energy to start a new project but you desperately need something to knit.



The scarf above is something I started ages ago because I had way too much very expensive cashmere yarn left over from my husband's lo-o-o-ong scarf (below). I wasn't making it for any reason other than I just couldn't bear to waste all that gorgeous fiber. Was I ever grateful that I had it when I finished my Noni Bag (due to the sprained foot) and didn't want to hobble down to the LYS to get something new to occupy my needles. Now I'm thinking it will make a lovely Christmas gift.



It's so interesting to see how different these scarves look even though I'm using exactly the same yarns and exactly the same stitch pattern. All I've changed is the color pattern. They look more like distant cousins than fraternal twins, wouldn't you say?

Is anyone else finishing up an old project for a holiday gift? Tell us about it!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger LauraP said...

I have a sweater and a very long scarf on the needles, neither of which will be done before Christmas, I'm sure. Maybe next year?

I LOVE those scarves - makes me want to shop for cashmere yarn. Lucious!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Cashmere is the most wonderful yarn to work with. It doesn't make me itch which wool sometimes does. It's a delight to squeeze the balls of yarn every now and then, with apologies to Mr. Whipple. It's just a sensual feast. I highly recommend everything about it except the price--at least in this case, it's almost worth it!

Good luck with your OTN (on-the-needles) projects for next year!

12:07 AM  
Blogger georg said...

My mother has requested a Quilt for Kissmoose. She mentioned this on *Monday*. She's getting a quilt top. If she's lucky. But it means I can raid the stash and create something for that. No shopping! Any time I don't have to shop for the holiday, the happier I am.

(not quite on the needles, but still not shopping!)

12:10 PM  
Blogger ~Tonia~ said...

I have a sweater that I need to finish for my mom. I am not sure if it will make it for Christmas, but I am hoping to get it done to where she can wear it while it is still cold.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Georg, I think requesting a quilt for Christmas a mere three weeks before the holiday is asking a bit much! I'm impressed you can even make the top by then.

Tonia, maybe you can do what I did with my MIL sweater and give it to her for her birthday (nine months after the Christmas it was supposed to be for).

Good luck to everyone with their maybe-for-Christmas projects. I haven't made much more progess on mine--no time to knit due to holiday chores. However, I'm usually close to finished with all that stuff the week right before Christmas so that still gives me time to complete the scarf.

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home