Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Knitting awards?



I was thinking about my pit crew trophy and the fact that until we won it I didn't know they gave trophies for that particular skill. So I was wondering about trophies for knitting. Is there such a thing?

Back in my childhood in West Virginia I remember touring a building at the West Virginia State Fair where they had exhibits of things like "Best Hay Bale" and "Best Rhubarb Pie", although the one I liked the best was "Best Floral Arrangement in a Coke Bottle". I can also vaguely recall displays of little knitted baby jackets with blue, red, and yellow award ribbons attached to them. (Evidently, I was wasn't as enthused about needle projects in those days.) However, that's the only time I've seen knitting judged and awarded a prize.

Does anyone here know if there are contests for knitters? (Not that I plan to enter one but it seems to me there should be such a thing for people who are really, really good at this because it is truly both a skill and an art.) Has anyone ever won one?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

County and State fairs are the only contests that I know about. I'm curious to see if anyone else knows of any new places.

2:39 PM  
Blogger monica said...

I think it was Lion Brand that has done the "Knitter of the Year" award. You are nominated by fellow knitters and it is based on charitable knitting and continuing the art of knitting in the community. I haven't seen an ad for it recently, but they used to be in the knitting magazines.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Australia there are competitions within the confines of our local shows.

I have heard of speed competitions. The size of the needles, the yarn and the stitches are set and away they go.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.bhkc.co.uk/data/speed_challenges.htm

I found this page about some of the competitions around the world.

4:42 PM  
Blogger ~Tonia~ said...

There is always the local and state fairs. Other than that I don't know of any. That would be a great idea for a LYS.

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The closest I've heard of are the Knitting Badges over at Cast On, the Brenda Dayne podcast. But they're more for fun than anything. Aside from that, just the local fairs and such.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Anonymous, thanks for the link to the "Knit Outs"! I was fascinated to find that the most common contest is "speed knitting". There's a major international competition at Mall of America in Minnesota. Who knew?

Monica, it's interesting that the emphasis for "Knitter of the Year" is on charity knitting and community knitting. That jibes with an observation I made a few months ago that knitters are a very giving group of people.

However, I still would love to see a prize for interesting designs or coolest new yarn or things along those lines. I mean, there's gorgeous creative stuff going on out there!

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home