Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Happy little knitter



That's me! Happy again. I love working on my Noni bag now that I've finished Darth Sweater. The beautiful soft greens are soothing to the eye. The stitches are nice and big so I can see them easily. I'm using Addi Turbos (my favorite). I adore the stripes because it's so easy to see my progress: two stripes done, three strips done, four stripes done, and so forth.

My one mistake: choosing to make a "well-defined edge" around the bottom. I usually like things neat and squared off but in this case I don't like the noticeable line which I created (by following the instructions). I'd rather have a gentle curve. Perhaps the felting will soften the effect somewhat. (Yes, I considered frogging it but decided to leave it due to sheer laziness and hope the felting concealed my blunder.)

Knitting in the round is one of the craft's all-time brilliant inventions. For some reason I can knit much faster and more comfortably than I can purl. Being able to knit constantly and have it come out in stockinette stitch seems nothing short of miraculous to me.

Do other folks here prefer knitting over purling? Or vice versa? Or are you ambi-stitcherous?

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

I prefer to change it up a bit. I like lace, or cables, or even moss stitch over straight knit or straight purl. I get bored too easily, and that's when I make mistakes. :)

(Of course, stockinette is a great front-of-TV pattern.)

6:58 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

You're right: change is good. I think that's why I like entrelac so much--short rows and a lot of variety in what you're doing but it doesn't require following a complex pattern so it's relaxing.

What's a moss stitch? I haven't encountered that one before.

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have noticed that I seem to knit faster than I purl, but I don't really have an aversion to either. I, too, tend to get bored easily. The most recent project, I cussed thoroughly (last time I promise to knit something with yarn unseen), and switched from 2x2 ribbing to straight knit because you couldn't see it with that yarn anyway, and the ribbing wasn't pulling it in or making it stretchy. Stupid novelty yarn. Now I'm working on socks, where you can see the ribbing, and I'm on the lovely stockinette section before the heel flap. Happy Christmas knitting!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Dallas Schulze said...

I prefer knitting. There's something about purling that always feels slightly clunky to me.

11:24 AM  
Blogger georg said...

that's my favorite thing about socks- stockinette in the round. Yards and yards of brainless knit. I don't even cable my socks or work out patterns- I like it because I don't have to think about it. This way I can just do something with my hands and let the brain go elsewhere, like watching TV or paying attention to a conversation.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

I like knitting in the round, too, Nancy. I think that's why I enjoyed the top-down sweater I made so much. It went so quickly.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer the knit stitch. I just really dislike having to purl an entire row - especially in a man's sweater - too many purls.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

You all have confirmed my theory that knitting is more comfortable than purling. I wonder if it's just because we learn to knit first or if there's really a difference in the motion that makes it less smooth.

It's good to know I'm not just weird. :-)

10:03 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Cool bag, Nancy. I too love knitting in the round, though I do mix it up once in a while with a stitch pattern of some kind.

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Bag. I love to knit in the round. That way I can talk or watch a good movie and still get something done.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home