Saturday, September 29, 2007

Making It Up As I Go Along

Call me crazy. You wouldn't be the first. Or call me a writer. Someone who makes it up as she goes along.

Whatever, I've designed a pattern and am going to knit it up with the James C. Brett black and white and gray Marble yarn pictured on the right. It's 100% acrylic (I'm allergic to wool) and there's 240 yards to the ball. Since I figure I'll need about 1,600-1,700 yards, I bought 7 balls for a total of 1,680 yards.

Here's the deal: I couldn't find a pattern and yarn that went together the way I wanted them to. Originally, I was going to make the Marble Cardigan. I ordered some of the Patches yarn for it but found it didn't quite look right. Didn't feel right, either, because it had wool in it. So I sent the Patches back (minus the one ball that it had taken for me to figure out it wasn't going to work) and decided what I really wanted to make was a cuff-to-cuff cardigan. Then I got to doodling around and decided I could design the pattern myself.

We'll see ... right? I'm going to knit the sleeves from cuff to underarm on the same circular at the same time. Then I'll put each sleeve on its own circular, increase for the body, decrease a little for the neck and do a three-needle bind-off in the center back. If you'd like, I'll throw up a picture now and then as I progress so you can see if I can really do this as well.

Oh, and while I'm here: I'll be giving away some sock yarn too this coming month.

So what's on your needles now?

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Kenyetta said...

So much on my needles right now. 2 separate dishcloths, socks, a vest, and a sleeve of a sweater for my daughter. I still have to do the body.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Dallas Schulze said...

Fran - It sounds like an intriguing idea. I'd love to see how it progresses.

It's interesting you're starting a cuff to cuff sweater. I just pulled out some very fuzzy mohair and a pattern for a cuff to cuff sweater. Maybe there's something in the air.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Go, Fran, you brave woman! I'm in awe of you designing your own pattern for a whole cardigan

I'm dying to see photos of how that yarn knits up: it looks like it will be fabulous. Please, please keep us posted on your progress!

10:06 PM  
Blogger kshotz said...

Can't wait to see it! Keep us posted....lots of pictures please!
Kim

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My needles are holding a sweater and a pair of socks. Please post pictures of your sweater progress. I bet it will turn our beautiful.

6:53 AM  
Blogger monica said...

I have a couple sweaters, several socks, some fingerless mitts and a hat on the needles. But I really need to get a baby blanket knit, so everything else will have to wait for a while

9:50 AM  
Blogger georg said...

A white sock, a project my mother would be embarrassed if I talked about (but am being paid for, so I have no shame), and an UFO afghan. The afghan is a UFO because it hurts to knit something so large. So I'm sticking to lighter things for now, like the socks.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Sharon Hurlbut said...

Wow Fran! I can't wait to follow your progress. Please do post photos as you go.

I am also designing my own patterns right now - I'm knitting an entire wardrobe for my daughters' Groovy Girl dolls as a Christmas surprise. There will be clothes, accessories, blankets, rugs, and maybe even a couple of bean bag chairs. I'm also hoping to construct a 'store' with displays and racks where the dolls can shop. The great thing is that if the first version of a particular design doesn't work it doesn't take up much yarn or time. It's also the perfect way to use up all those odds and ends of sock yarn.

Can't wait to see your sweater!

Sharon

11:50 AM  
Blogger ikkinlala said...

I've got a very plain sock and a dishcloth on the go right now. Comfort knitting!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

I've been lurking and enjoying all the yarn. I went to a Knit and Crochet show in Oakland, CA last Saturday and bought more stash...and this was a small show compared with the Stitches shows.

I have a top-down sweater, a lacy shawl, one sock (I still need to learn to turn heels but have LOTS of sock yarn), a crochet afghan, a crochet baby blanket and two regular sweaters (I think) on needles at the moment. I really need to organize my stash but I've been waiting for Ravelry to invite me in...LOL. I'm 7,000+ on the list now!!

I'll be looking forward to seeing the pictures as you do the cuff-to-cuff sweater.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home