Saturday, September 15, 2007

I Blame Dallas!


There I was, minding my own business, working on the epilogue of the old book, struggling along with the beginning of the new, when Dallas emailed me this link and I was done for.
You know how it is: the more you knit or crochet, the more bits and pieces you accumulate. Not enough to make a sock or a scarf with, not so little that you feel free to give it to the birds for their nests. Just the wrong amount for anything but a giant plastic bag and a giant portion of your closet.
How about a giant sock yarn granny square lap throw? Is that genius or what! Now I'm not saying mine is beautiful or anything because it isn't. What it is is a random sampling of leftover yarns, drawn at random from the dark recesses of a tote bag and used without regard for how one color will look following another. I began with Regia blue multi leftovers, segued into Opal Petticoat, moved onto some leftover Fortissima Colori from the sock yarn Sandra gave me two years ago for my birthday, and now some Paton's Kroy. This square is worked with an E hook. (The other one is being worked on a 00.)
This is the ultimate mindless project. I'm finding it to be perfect for picking up and putting down while I work. No worry about where I am in the row, no worry about lost stitches, no worry about joining yarns or what comes next. What comes next is whatever I pull blindly from the totebag of scraps. Chaos Theory Crocheting that will ultimately serve a purpose. Is that great or what?
Of course the urge is to try to establish some order, to line up the colors in more pleasing configurations, to make one all in blues and one all in autumnal shades, but I'm resisting. There are enough rules and regs in real life. Let the colors fight it out among themselves.
For right now this girl's just gonna have some crochet fun.

7 Comments:

Blogger dobarah said...

Let the Chaos begin! You are a dare-devil at heart...way to go!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Sue J. said...

What a wonderful, wonderful idea!! I'm starting today. I have tons of leftover sock yarn, and this will be perfect. Thank you, thank you for posting the link and the idea.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

I know it's all muddy and I know I should have imposed a little order into the mix but I'm having so much fun just letting it rip that even the ugliness is making me ridiculously happy! (And in my own way I kinda like the way it's looking.) I tend to sweat and worry when I write and it's so much FUN to just let 'er rip. (Besides, I love granny squares more than I can say. Always have, always will.)

Case in point: I actually deleted my first comment so I could change the word "exert" to "impose." See why I need something I can just leave the #*@(! alone??

1:12 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Maybe I should have imposed order "on" the mix but I'm not going to delete and edit again. I'm not. I'm not. I'm not.

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great idea.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Fun is good. Go for it, Barbara!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Dallas Schulze said...

I'd willingly take the blame but I'm consumed by jealousy because your square is bigger than mine and it looks wonderful.

I'm struggling with the question of how much order to impose. I'm a natural control freak so just selecting yarns at random would probably make my head explode. At the moment, I'm struggling with the urge to rip out what I have and start over so I can improve the color sequence. I keep reminding myself that this is like a scrap quilt - by the time you've got fifty colors in it, it won't matter how any two colors look next to each other.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home