Tuesday, September 04, 2007

In Search of a Needle

It’s not my fault. All I wanted was my size 4 Addi Turbo Lace Circ. I know I have one. I remember buying it and I didn’t hallucinate that because I have the empty package. Usually, I put a note in the empty package that tells me what project the needle went into but not this time.

I thought maybe the needle wasn’t actually in a project but was just floating around loose in one of my needle drawers. (Though this would be in direct violation of my Rules of Needle Storage, it has been known to happen.) I went through the needle drawers and, though I found some interesting things - why do I have so many duplicate needles? - I didn’t find my size 4 Addi Lace and I really need that needle because I want to start a new shawl - Sharon Miller’s Rosebud Shawl, for those of you who feel the need to know.


I decided to go through my project tote - a 15 gallon plastic job - and my felted carry around tote. And the two - make that three - shelves where I stick projects that aren’t at the top of my priority list. Because it’s raining and I don’t have anything better to do, I decided to lay everything out on the bed and maybe take a picture. Or four.






Okay, first of all, I know how many projects I have at any given time. My list making habit approaches near legendary status among those who know me. So I already knew I had 25 projects on the needles - 26 if you insist on counting the Rosebud Shawl but, really, that’s barely started so it seems kind of petty to mention it. I knew I had 10 pairs of socks, 9 shawls, 2 scarves, 2 sweaters, 1 tote, 1 pair of gloves and 1 vest in progress. But there’s knowing and then there’s seeing it all laid out.

Maybe it’s time I finished up some things?

And I still haven’t found my blasted needle.

9 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

My goodness! That's quite some pile there. I am suitable impressed.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Lori's Light Extemporanea said...

Wow! Sounds like my quilting WIP!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

25 projects! I bow before you, Dallas. And they all look gorgeous. I hope you find your needles.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Okay, Dallas, I'm still gasping and laughing hysterically at the same time. TWENTY-FIVE PROJECTS!?!?!? That has to be a world record. No wonder you need to makes lists of where your needles are! You make me ashamed of my totally one-track mind when it comes to knitting. I can barely handle TWO projects simultaneously.

I LOVE the Rosebud Shawl (checked it out with your link) and was hoping I could make it with my qiviuk but alas I don't have enough yarn for it. So I'm going back to my Mobius scarf idea from Arctic Lace (which I also love). Ah, decisions, decisions....

I too hope you foundyour needles. I'd hate to lose any Addi Turbos.

8:50 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

I'll bet you can pick up any of those projects and knit away, too, without spending hours trying to figure out what you were doing. Awesome!

9:54 PM  
Blogger georg said...

I must confess I have three projects on the the needles. An Afghan I stopped working on a while ago because it's heavy and my wrists hurt while working it. A pair of socks for public knitting. And project on commission that I'd be ashamed to tell my mother about.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to ask--is that lovely green shawl the Leda's Dream? It's very pretty.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Nephele said...

If it were me, I'd just cast on three new projects instead.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Dallas Schulze said...

Lori - I don't want to talk about my quilting WIP!

Cindi - I did find the needle. It was in a project I work on daily that sits right next to my computer. Duh!

Nancy - I'm sure there are knitters out there with even more projects on the needles. Surely, I can't have the worst case of startitis in the knitting world!

Just the thought of the Rosebud Shawl in Qiviuk makes my heart go pitter pat. It would be gorgeous. Then again, just about anything would be gorgeous in Qiviuk.

Cathy - Good eye! That is Leda's Dream and it is a lovely project. It's been temporarily set aside while I try to finish Swan Lake - formerly known as Mystery Shawl 3. I'm doing the symmetrical version and have been dawdling on the second half.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home