Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Great Dishcloth Challenge (NC-17)


WARNING: EXTREME UGLINESS DEAD AHEAD

Don't let those innocent-looking balls of cotton fool you. Those babies are lethal!

Remember the stunning dishcloth Our Fran showed us last week? That gorgeous lemon-lime Lily confection that literally had me drooling over my keyboard?



Well, I didn't quite get the same results with my Peaches & Creme. See that monstrosity below? That's the sampler I was noodling around with. I probably should have told you to ask your children to step away from the computer monitor lest their delicate young eyes be damaged by such unremitting ugliness.

And it's not the knitting. Really. For once this knitter is blameless. (For the most part.) The bottom section is Fiesta Ombre in the classic Mason-Dixon Ballband Dishcloth pattern. Notice how it did NOT stripe beautifully the way Fran's Lily did? The color repeats are very short, reminiscent of the truncated color repeats on Plymouth Outback Wool, and that does not make for a graceful look. The second band of color is one of the blue variegateds. That didn't work either. The top is orange solid and turquoise solid, kind of an homage to the Mets. Or Howard Johnson, depending on your point of view. While it's not exactly easy on the eyes it at least proves I have some proficiency with the needles.


Which is where you come in.

I challenge you to knit with some variegated and/or ombre Peaches & Creme and share your results right here. This is one of the nicest yarns I've ever knit with and I can't believe that their flagship pattern doesn't work with their own colorways.

Send me an email (wickedsplitty AT earthlink DOT net) with DISHCLOTH in the subject header and I'll enter you in my P&C giveaway. Starting tomorrow I'll give away one ball of deadly variegated cotton yarn each day for one week.

But this time it comes with strings attached. Whenever you get around to knitting with it, I'm begging you to share your progress with a photo or two. I need to know what happens!

5 Comments:

Blogger Lori's Light Extemporanea said...

I don't understand the connection you're making between the P&C & the ballband dishcloth. They aren't connected business-wise, are they?

2:15 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

The pattern I used is the one on the P&C ballband - Knitted Textured Dishcloth (Ombre) which is why I am curious about my result.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Dallas Schulze said...

Good grief, you said it was awful but it wasn't enough to prepare me.

There has to be some logical explanation. Personally, I'm voting for demonic possession of either needles or yarn.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Okay, call me weird but I like the "Homage to the Mets/HoJo's". However, the others are totally ghastly.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually use 2 colors--one varigated for the "bricks" and a coordinating color (even if it winds up being white) for the "mortar." You get a bit more consistancy without it fighting itself.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home