Sunday, August 05, 2007

Fortune Magazine article on Jimmy Beans Wool

I don't know why I Googled Jimmy Beans after sending off the last post but I did and I came up with a fascinating article about the store from July Fortune Magazine.

Click here to read it.

The whole thing is intriguing (young Silicon Valley couple decide to open a yarn shop in 2002 and it explodes into a $1,000,000 per annum business!) but the most provocative statement is the observation that knitting's popularity has peaked.

What do you think? Are we as hot as we were two years ago or is the craze settling down into something more permanent?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think what it is--crafting seems to go through cycles. Like the macreme and needlepoint of the 70s, through the quilting and scrapbooking to the knitting. I think beading will be next, simply because it's fast (relatively speaking). However, there are always those who find their passion on the journey. Like me. I've only been knitting about 3 years (and spinning about 2). But I know how to crochet (since I was 8), embroider, quilt, latch hook, bead, and I've done some needlepoint and macreme, but not enough to really remember how to do it. I'd never really found my niche until I hit upon knitting. For whatever reason, I find it the greatest--it's as simple or as complicated as I need it to be. Early in my pregnancy, I couldn't concentrate on anything. I had been doing some lace and some socks, but it just wasn't working for me. I started knitting dishcloths. My knitting guild got dozens of them donated so they can raise some money for the scholarship they offer. After the washcloths, I could do socks again, so all the female in-laws got socks for Christmas/birthday.

But back to the question--has knitting peaked? Possibly. But there are lots of new knitters out there who will still demand wonderful things to knit and knit with, so I don't see a severe slide downward for knitting. Possibly a gradual drop off until the next time knitting gets "hot."

10:16 AM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

I don't think knitting has peaked. I'm more into it than ever.

And funny you should mention Jimmy Beans -- I just received an order from them of lovely alpaca and wool sock yarn.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think knitting has peaked. If you have the love of yarn, handcrafted items and the sense of accomplishment and gift giving, hey you're on top!

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home