Sunday, May 06, 2007

OT: Ginny and I are depressed



There was no joy in Jersey last night: the Devils lost 3-2 and were eliminated from the Stanley Cup playoffs. Their last game in their own Meadowlands "barn" (the players' term for a hockey rink) was pretty dismal. Ginny and I won't be driving to the swamps anymore because next fall the Devils move to the brand-new Prudential Center in Newark.

The Star-Ledger printed an eloquent photo of Zach Parise slumped on the locker room bench without his jersey but with his skates still laced on. Discarded equipment litters the floor and seat around him. The air of defeat is almost palpable.

Myself, I went home and cleaned all this year's ticket stubs out of the pockets of my (not-so-lucky) Devils jacket, then solemnly hung it at the back of the coat closet until October rolls around.

The great thing about sports is this: there's always next season. My husband and I spent a delightful fifteen minutes this morning discussing which free agents we think the Devils should sign for the fall. I'm already looking forward to the new line-up.

Where there's a team, there's always hope.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger LauraP said...

There's always next year...that's what I like most about sports. The optimism for the season to come...can't beat that!

4:16 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I guess that's what keeps us coming back for more, Laura. The hope that it can happen in the future.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Ginny said...

Nancy - yep, I'm depressed.
I put away my lucky pullover, hat and jacket.

I feel so sorry for the 'boys'. I don't think Gomer will be back, which makes me sad.
However, the 'Z's are looking good, and with Marty here we always have high hopes for next season.

We said our goodbye's to the Meadowlands, our seat mates, and the Security guys. I took a final look at the banners, and thought about the thrills and chills I've experienced in the 25 years in that building.
Now I can say I was there for opening night in 1982 and closing night in 2007.
I'm getting a little teary-eyed.

I'll mourn a little while, then start looking forward to next year in the new arena.
2008 will be our year!

Ginny

6:02 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Wow, Ginny, you really are a loyal Devils fan! That's very cool that you opened and closed the Meadowlands arena.

I didn't develop my Devils obssession until about five years ago. Of course, I'm not a native New Jerseyan so I hadn't even heard of them in 1982. I was a Flyers fan, hooked by Bernie Parent's glory days.

I think you're right about losing Gomer. I'll miss watching him blow past the opposition's defense like they're standing still. But that's the nature of pro sports: our hero one season, our enemy the next (like Scott Neidermeier--wouldn't it be nice to have him back?).

Maybe we can meet at The Rock in the fall.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Nancy,

So sorry to hear about the loss. Saw it on the news and thought about you. It's always hard when a season comes to a close - you wonder what the heck you'll do with all of that extra time! When the Steelers have a bad season, the whole winter seems so much longer.

I'm glad your Devils gave you such a good ride this season. Next year will be your year!

9:47 PM  
Blogger Ginny said...

A Flyers fan! I was, too, until the Devs came here. I'm originally a Trentonian, so Philly teams were the local teams when I was growing up. I'm also a Phils fan.

We should try to meet at the Rock. That would be fun.

Ginny
ginnyturne AT gmail DOT com

9:45 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Kristin, I'll think of you whenever the Steelers are playing this fall and give them a cheer. Unless they're playing the Giants or the Jets, of course.

Ginny, we'll definitely set up a "meet" at the Rock then. I look forward to it!

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home