Tuesday, May 08, 2007

CONTEST! 27 skeins of Noro Gorgeousness


To celebrate that 1) the #*@(!@ book is done and 2) I'm no longer under house arrest and 3) there are two new books yet to be written, I'm holding a Very Special Contest. (You know, like those Very Special sitcom episodes where Fonzie Explains Nuclear Disarmament to Chachi.)


NORO Implessions – a wonderful Kid Mohair/Wool/Silk/Nylon blend with Noro’s legendary color sense and unpredictable thick/thin texture. Teals, burnt oranges, purples, blues—you know how breathtaking Mr. Noro’s yarns are and this one is no exception.

I’m offering 27 (if I counted right) skeins of Color #5 (lots A & B). 40 grams per skein, 48 meters (approximately 50 yards.) US#8 needles work well. (So do larger needles. As with everything in life, it all depends on what you’re looking for.)

There’s a story attached to this yarn. (A yarn with a yarn?) When I eased back into knitting at the end of the summer of 2003, I was shocked/amazed/thrilled/delighted to discover that there had been a revolution when I wasn’t looking. Remember that scene in The Wizard of Oz when Dorothy steps out of her black and white house and into glorious Technicolor Munchkinland? That’s how I felt the first time I saw what was out there, almost drunk on color and texture and possibilities.

I also fell madly in love with thick yarn and big needles. Now we all know that big stitches made with big yarn on big needles really aren’t the most flattering look for just about any woman on the planet. (Especially not women with breasts larger than a double-A cup.) And, let’s be honest again, they’re not particularly flattering to those of us over 50. (Okay, okay. Over 55. Are you satisfied??) But that didn’t stop me from buying the needles and the yarn to make exactly that: a big thick woolly sweater for myself.

Like I said, I should’ve known better. Actually I did know better. The months passed . . . and then the years . . . and the gorgeous Noro yarn languished in my closet waiting to discover its destiny.

Well, almost four years have gone by. The yarn has been discontinued. It’s also thoroughly marinated. And me? Well, I’ve finally faced up to reality: I’m never going to knit a sweater with this yarn. I’m never going to knit a shawl with it. Or fifteen scarves. Or a whole lot of really bad hats.

But I’ll bet you can think of something wonderful to do with it. So, because no good yarn should go unknitted, I’m offering 27 skeins of NORO Implession to one lucky winner who will be selected by our handy-dandy Random Number Generator on Friday May 18th. Entering is easy: send me an email at wickedsplitty@earthlink.net with NORO in the subject header and, while you’re at it, I’d love it if you left a comment here on the website with some of your best ideas for this beautiful, beautiful stuff.

Good Luck!

39 Comments:

Blogger Gigi said...

Wow...awesome yarn! I see a great sweater with my best friends name on it!

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see a loose romantic bed jacket/robe, sort of like the one in Romantic Knits. Gorgeous!

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's enough for some lovely Christmas gifts.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Redford Phyl said...

I see a big, snuggly shawl.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I think they would make a great afghan to warm up the couch!

4:00 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

This would make an incredible, wonderful, irresistable oversized wrap for those chilly mornings at the computer or TV nights -- or two...or three.

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Liz; I see a lovely afghan.

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I see a winter shawl as well. Not one of those thin lacy ones, but a big, thick, woolly, no-nonsense shawl that you wear to keep warm. And if it looks amazingly beautiful as well - so much the better!

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, on second thought... I've had plans in the back of my head for a year or so to make a long hooded cloak. I wonder if there'd be enough... The colours would be perfect.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd definately make it into a nice warm shawl to snuggle under during the winter.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Trishy said...

I would make it into a sweater for ME ME ME!

6:41 PM  
Blogger monica said...

I would make a lovely throw or maybe a nice warm sweater. I have some of the Jane Ellison books for Noro, I am sure I could find something wonderful in one of them.

7:47 PM  
Blogger dobarah said...

The possibilities are endless! There could be gauntlets, multidirectional scarves, a shawl...oh wow!

8:01 PM  
Blogger kozmic said...

I know EXACTLY which pattern I'd use with this slice of heavenly yarn. Theres an entrelac coat pattern in the latest Cleckheaton Vintage Hues pattern booklet. It would be THE jacket I lived in for the rest of my natural life! :0)

9:09 PM  
Blogger Birdsong Designs said...

I could see a softly ruched lap blanket, like the one in weekend knitting, bound by a complimentary colour. Maybe that deep purple. Yes ladies: given 27 skeins of wonderful yarn, I would still find a way to justify buying more yarn. It *is* a sickness! :) -Sandy

9:44 PM  
Blogger Edna said...

Looks like a gorgeous shawl or wrap to keep warm on a cold & blustery day.

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't think of anything until I saw all the other comments. But there is an entrelac stole in the Knitted Shawls, Stoles and Scarves book that would be lovely in this yarn.

12:23 AM  
Blogger javede said...

Well, I might be small enough to pull off a sweater made from this, but I think I would knit an afghan.
Something with a bit of a lace pattern in it, but simple enough to show the yarn best.

3:06 AM  
Blogger Theresa N. said...

I see a loose lacey sweater. Maybe matching Mother and daughter.

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a coat sweater, though I have several of those already - another just gives me more options.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Kenyetta said...

OMG! A Sweater Coat or something for me!

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see . . .

I se . . .

a big glorious mitered sweater!!!!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Saren Johnson said...

My youngest daughter is getting married and I would like to make her a lovely lacy shawl.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I vote for the Lady Eleanor entrelac stole. But I ALWAYS vote for that. :-)

12:42 PM  
Blogger kshotz said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:57 PM  
Blogger kshotz said...

Having just learned entrelac, I'd make some bags for gifts (I think). Maybe another entrelac project!

Kim

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work in a cold office and think a lovely warm shawl to wear while I work would be amazing. The colors would be so beautiful to wrap oneself in on a gray day.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Nephele said...

Hmm, yes lots of good ideas. Me? I'm in California so I'd turn it into a winter coat - half linen stitch, lapels, yeah, that'd work - if I get the chance that's what I do.

2:16 PM  
Blogger knit_tgz said...

That should make a wonderful blanket! (Oh, my, if I would win this yarn!... :) )

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A SHAWL THAT CAN DOUBLE AS A THROW MAYBE IN MITERED SQUARES...

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would make an awesome long skirt. Imagine it with a pair of nice boots, and silk blouse. Just pick your color.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

i think I'd make an afghan! What beautiful colors. Maureen from NY

5:24 PM  
Blogger Sew Happy said...

Hmm....I see a Clapotis for me in the future....

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Noro big bag seen in advs a few issues back maybe! If not, improvise!

1:27 AM  
Blogger PnP said...

I defnitely see a gorgeous afghan, a special blanket I could snuggle my girls up in!

:-) Debra

12:19 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

A shawl and an afghan....oooo, a jacket would be fabulous too!!

12:10 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Well, a cuddly weekend sweater would be so nice. And since I turned 49 today, I say, the heck with fashion! :-)

8:59 AM  
Blogger Debbie St.Amand said...

I've been searching for the right yarn to make an afghan as a wedding gift for my niece next month. This looks to be perfect!

StDebb

11:15 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

I think a throw and some pillows. It would look lovely on a dark-colored sofa.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home