Thursday, October 26, 2006

SOCK HOP - Day 26





Denzel.

(One word is quite enough here.)

(Although a pair of Fixation Bulkys might be appreciated by the Oscar-winning actor . . . )

I finished Sirdar Highlander #1 (the sequel) last night. Round toed it, made Goldisox admire it, then put away my needles for the night.

I'm hearing the call of wristwarmers in my ear. I bought some Debbie Bliss Cashmerino on eBay--some in a Moss Green, some in Burgundy--and hope to be casting on before long.

Here's how the finished sock turned out. (Could there be a more boring pair of sock photos?)
And there's the whole felting extravaganza to consider. I'm going to shop my stash for some Lopi and a little fun fur and cast on for THE Wendy's Kitty Pi. (You can find the pattern on line or in her wonderful book, Wendy Knits.) Last year my friend Sunny (who'd better not be reading this) adopted Sylvester from her local shelter and I fully intended to present him with a Kitty Pi of his very own but one thing led to another and I never got around to it. This year I intend to right that grievous wrong and make sure Sylvester knows he's held in high regard here in central NJ.

6 Comments:

Blogger kshotz said...

I think the socks are lovely! I think everyone needs some "plain" socks in their arsenal....in fact I've vowed the next yarns I get will be single color since I have only used the self-striping/varigated kinds so far.

Kim

11:35 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

I love discovering which yarns work best in plain old stockinette and which benefit from a shot of texture. I would've bet my house that the Sirdar Highlander (with all those tweedy flecks) was a natural for cables and I was dead wrong. So you're right: let's hear it for the plain old sock!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

BTW, Kim, thanks for the kind words.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I'm with Kim; I like those socks alot and could easily see myself wearing them often. They are a classic.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

The socks look great. (And so does Denzel!)

1:33 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Lorinda, the photo is from HE'S GOT GAME. That's probably my favorite of his movies (TRAINING DAY is a close second.) I always thought Denzel was amazingly handsome but as an actor he left me cold. A friend and I had this discussion once upon a time and I came up with the theory that Denzel acted from the intellect rather than the heart and that kept me at a distance. (I feel the same way about Tom Hanks. He seems "chilly" to me.) (Yes, I know I'm in the minority.)

But back to Denzel. In GAME he acted from the gut and really captured me. The emotional intensity really came through. (Same as it did in TRAINING DAY. He scared the daylights out of me in that one.)

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home