Thursday, October 26, 2006

Special Days

I’m late with this blog and it’s not about knitting because yesterday was my husband’s birthday. As a result, I spent my time making it a perfect day for him (he’s retired).



First, I got up early to take the children to school, even though it was his day to do so. Then we went bed shopping. This may not sound exciting to you but we just switched around half the beds in the house and ended up with a king-sized mattress in our bedroom. The problem is that it’s just sitting on a nasty little metal frame with no headboard or footboard. My DH loves to shop for furniture so we hit Furniture Row, a.k.a. Route 46, and finally found the headboard of his dreams.

We also stopped to look at a new condominium development which my DH is hoping his mother might be interested in. This is another thing my hubby loves to do: look at real estate.

We went to dinner at a delightful Italian restaurant (DH’s favorite cuisine) in the city and came home to open presents with the kids.

That was his dream day. The only thing missing was a round of golf but he’s off playing that today.

So my question is: how do you make a day special for yourself or for someone you love?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go! It's hard to make a birthday special for someone else, but it sounds like you did a fantastic job.

On my own birthday, I _decide_ to have a good day. I dress up, and add my Birthday Button ("It's my birthday. Where's my present?"), and give away cookies: "It's my Birthday! Have a cookie!"

I also _decide_ that my age doesn't matter. I'll say 68, or 38, or 102. As Yoda says, "When 800 years old you become, look as good you will not!"

:-D

12:50 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Gwyndolyn, you're a woman of character. I like someone who DECIDES to have a good day and then does something about it. I like your Birthday Button too; I may have to get one of those.

As for your age, who has the nerve to ask?

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

... about half the people who get a cookie. :-)

The ones who ask get told "273."

4:59 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Wow, Nancy, you're touching on one of my hot button subjects: The One Size Fits All Theory of Romance.

Sure, candles and soft music and wine are all romantic. Nobody's denying that. But they're generic symbols of romance, not at all specific to the person you love or desire.

My husband knows that the true way to my heart is take-out Chinese food from Big Wing Wah, cookies from Randazzo's, and a Bad Movie Festival on TV. Add a fire in the fireplace and I'm putty in his hands.

Nobody would say no to a dozen roses but it's the gesture that says "I know who you are" that counts the most.

11:37 AM  
Blogger georg said...

The best way to treat my sweetie is to take him out to dinner at his favorite restaurant. It's good I like it too.

Whenever I need a pickmeup, I just head to the B&N, get a coffee, and browse. If I really need more than that, I do lunch there. If I'm feeling rich however, I head to the quilt shop and indulge in fabric. It is very safe to say I have much more fabric than yarn. :)

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home