Sunday, July 23, 2006

Low-Fat, Sugar-Free and Luscious

Writers try to create a feast for the senses. Meaning we want our readers to see, hear, smell, touch and taste what our characters see, hear, smell, touch and taste. Once in a great while, I put a recipe in a book. (See the recipe for homemade vanilla ice cream in The Widow and the Wildcatter, now out in large print and available for the asking at your local public library, for example. Warning: it spools out in a sensual scene between Joni and Chance.)

Anyway, last night I was serving my adaptation of the French dessert known as clafoutis, and I thought y'all might like the recipe while fresh peaches are still in season.

What's this got to do with knitting? you ask. Not much, though I made the dessert in honor of my sister, whose birthday is July 22 and who loved the pink Noro Booga Bag I made her. How's that for a stretch? LOL! All I ask if you make and love my adaptation of the clafouti is that you give me credit for it. Okay? Here goes:

PEACH CLAFOUTI

Adapted by Fran Baker

3 Cups peeled, sliced peaches

1/2 Cup Splenda

1/4 Cup flour

3/4 Cup Egg-Beaters

1 1/2 Cups skim milk

a little vanilla

a little salt

Preheat oven to 425F. Mix the flour, sugar, vanilla and salt with the eggs and milk. Stir in the peaches. Pour mixture into a Pam-sprayed 8x8 square glass dish. Bake for 35 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Eat and enjoy.

Fran Baker

3 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Fran! All that deliciousness and Splenda too? I'm in heaven. As a true lover of all things peach, I can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing. BB

3:09 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Sprinkle a little cinnamon over the top for color and flavor if you like, Barbara.

You can also make this with fresh cherries. Leave the stones in for flavor. And substitute almond extract for the vanilla. Yum!

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fran that recipe sounds delicious!
Wrote it down and will have to make it. Here in NJ peaches are so good and they are now on the market.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home