Wednesday, July 19, 2006

How Do I Love Thee: An Ode to Noro Kureyon


(<--Part of a Cornelia Tuttle Hamilton afghan pattern expertly knitted by Dallas Schulze in Noro Kureyon #128)

Oh, Nancy, how I envy you! You're a Kureyon virgin with the wonders of Noro still ahead of you. Kureyon! Silk Garden! Hana! Cash Iroha! And that's just the tip of the woolly iceberg.

But you want specifics, don't you? Let me see if I can help.

1. Noro Eisakura is a genius
2. All Noro yarns are hand-dyed
3. Nobody, and I mean nobody, achieves the depth of color and creative mix-and-matching of Noro. You'll look at some of the combos and think, "Are they crazy?" but darned if they don't knit up like a dream
4. Kureyon is a work of art that still connects with the earthier aspects of wool. (Did I mention that Kureyon is 100% wool?) Yes, you'll occasionally find a bit of vegetable matter in the skein. Embrace it! Yes, occasionally the yarn will spin down to whisper-thin then bulk back up to its almost-roving self. Embrace that too! Art isn't stamped out by a machine.
5. Kureyon, in particular, and Noro in general feel wonderful in your hands
6. Some of the most gorgeous patterns on the planet are created for Noro. Look specifically for Cornelia Tuttle Hamilton's books.
7. The color changes are long enough to establish themselves yet short enough to keep your eyes happy
8. Kureyon felts like a champ
9. Color #102
10. Color #128
11. Color #40 - life doesn't get much better
12. You haven't lived until you've watched Kureyon "bloom"

Mostly, though, it's a visceral thing. When I gaze upon, fondle, and create with Noro Kureyon I am blissfully happy. It satisfies this knitter's soul in every way possible. Better still, it helps you create a stellar product.

The only problem is . . . I'm allergic to wool. I pay dearly for every second of Kureyon Joy.

But it's worth it.

Lots of Kureyon available on eBay. Discounted prices available at WEBS among other outlets. There's a great Canadian online store -- Wool Needle Work -- with one of the best range of colors available.




This was my first Perfect Pouch. First felting attempt. First I-cord. Definitely first attached I-cord. I never did find the absolutely perfect button for it, but I used it until it literally fell apart.








This was a blanket in progress. There was some more knitting ahead, then felting, and then it went on its way to Sandra Marton's grandson!

So how do I love thee, Kureyon? I can't count that high!

Barbara

1 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Okay, I'm hooked. I checked out the color selection at WEBS and was drooling all over my keyboard. It is STUNNING! I've got to get me some. Thanks for the love poem, Barbara. NOW I understand....

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home