Monday, August 09, 2010

HELP!

I am not known for my organizational abilities. In fact, if I am known for anything it's for my lack of same.

Which means the state of my knitting supplies lies somewhere between appalling and downright tragic.

I've been trying to squish everything into my mother's old picnic basket and it's not going well. Some of my circs are currently in zip-lock bags. Some (the Knit Picks Options and Harmonys) are in their little Knit Picks case. Or they would be if I hadn't overstuffed the poor thing so much that it exploded. With the exception of dpns, I've pretty much purged the house of straight needles which is kind of funny since straight needle storage was the one thing I had down cold. (Empty Quaker Oats cylinders. Funky, adorable, practical. Why isn't all of life so easy to contain?)

How do you store your knitting hardware? One of those over-the-door fabric thingies? A taboret like The Wendy uses? Once upon a time I tried sliding my circs into page protectors then filing them in four-inch binders but it seemed ridiculous to use so much shelf space for maybe four ounces of aluminum.

Help!

10 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

I store mine in zip lock bags and then I put them in a small organizer - the kind you pick up at Wal-Mart! Box with a top that hinges down...(know what I'm talking about???)

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I store my circs in those clear plastic pencil holders that you put in a 3" binder. I have one binder for 000 through 7 and one binder for 8 and above. No straights any more. Very few dpns as I use the magic loop or two circs.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Sorka said...

I bought a hanging canvas circular needle organizer a while back. It hooks on a regular old hanger with Velcro and goes in the closet. IT IS GENIUS! I love it!
My DPNs are tucked in a little fabric DPN case I bought on Etsy and the straights are in a vintage knitting needle cylindrical case!

10:13 PM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

I close my eyes, put them somewhere, and hope for the best. Do I get points for being honest?

11:09 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

The thing that drives me crazy (or one of them, at any rate) is that there is no single answer to the question. What works for stash doesn't work for needles and what works for needles doesn't work for buttons and zippers and rulers and blocking wires. I'm thinking maybe I need another house.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Straight needles go in two vases on my coffee table.

DPNs live in a flat hand made case that I bought from http://www.etsy.com/shop/knitonebeadtwo

I have one della Q case for circulars. http://www.theloopyewe.com/browse/bags-totes/della-q/

I'm having some other circular cases custom made.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Ultimate goal is to have 1 case for 16" needles, 1 for 24" needles, etc etc....

Other notions live in a plastic shoe box.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Pooch said...

Here's a pic of how I store my straight needles.

http://yarnknitreadlit.blogspot.com/2006/01/stix-yarns.html

:)

8:43 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

What amazingly cool ideas! I have to try some of these.

12:44 PM  
Blogger dawnbrocco said...

Hey Barbara,
I have a metal grid shelving unit in the closet of my office and I hang the long circs around one of the posts. Nearby, is a nail in the sidewall of the closet, from which hangs the shorter circs. The ndl sizer is 3' away in my desk.

Dpns sit in their original packaging in a large plastic tumbler, which sits in a basket (holding other doodads) in my yarn/shipping room. Low-cost, but organized.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home