Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I'm baaaaaaack!



Hey girlies! Long time no see! My wrist problems aren't over, sadly, but when I saw Nancy at RWA this summer, she made me reeeeeally want to try to come back. Life got in the way for awhile, and I still have to be careful how much knitting I do after writing all day, but....

Okay...deep breath...I'm trying to overcome the dreaded

FEAR OF SOCKS eeeeeeeeeek!

I tried Magic Loop last year or so when I was on here and fell flat on my face. Then I was visiting with Deb Dixon about a new book I have coming out with Bell Bridge Books (Belle Books' womens fiction imprint...the book is called THE GODDESS OF FRIED OKRA--you wanted to know that, right?;))

Anyway, somehow we got off on talking knitting, and I brought up the aforementioned FOS. Deb assured me she had a sock pattern ANYONE could knit, so I said "Show me!" She sent it...I started hyperventilating...I exchanged 483 emails (okay, 2) and I pulled out the set of 2.5 mm bamboo dps I had on hand plus some gorgeous Brown Sheep Wildfoote Symphony I'd optimistically bought in the Magic Loop days and....

I cast on 15 st each on 4 needles, tried to knit a row...had to lie down and breathe deeply.

Then I got on knittinghelp.com and saw a video where all were cast onto one and divided after...so I did that, started working on the first row...and had to lie down and breathe deeply. :) (You see how much I love you guys and want to be Barbara or Fran when I grow up?)

Another email or two with DD, and after about five rows, I started feeling like, hey! Maybe I can do this! So here's a couple of pictures of my oh-so-humble beginnings!

Jean

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Jean,

They look great - and I love that yarn...I have a pair of socks that I knit for myself in that exact same yarn...The color is so awesome...

5:26 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Jean, how absolutely WONDERFUL to have you back on RTY!!!! Even if you ARE knitting the dreaded s-word. I'm so glad I ran into you this summer and helped respark your knitting mojo. Of course, mine seems to have gone missing these days but I'm hoping fall weather will reignite it. A thousand welcomes back!

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Sara...but now shall I send you a photo of my disaster where I nearly lost a whole needles' worth of stitches right after that?!?!? (Don't listen, Nancy--if I can get over this FOS, you can, too!)

Gasp, gasp, gasp...but I got 'em back--woo hoo!

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Cathy said...

Welcome back! Just make sure you don't tell people that you're over your fear of socks--they will all want some for Christmas, darn it! Two pairs down, six pairs left.... Good thing I'm a bit behind on podcasts.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

with the right pattern socks rock! have fun!! (remember your doing this for fun!)

11:10 AM  
Blogger Katminder said...

Looks great! You're going to be so proud when you are done! It's a whole lot easier than you expected, isn't it! I love knitting socks, took six pair to my sister's family for birthdays last night, they fought over them! Makes me feel wonderful!

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um...I just remembered I have to do this twice now. Thanks, Cathy, for the really awful reminder. ;)

Got to lie down. Breathe...breathe...breeeeeeee ee ee eek!

3:31 PM  
Blogger georg said...

You go girl!

I'm addicted to socks. :)

5:20 AM  
Anonymous LauraP said...

Love that yarn. Those will be such luscious, comfy socks.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Cathy R said...

Oh, congratulations. Socks are addictive, and I'm sure thinking that you have a good start on yours.

And what a fantastic color, too!!

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home