Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Wanna Enhance Your Sock Yarn Stash?

I've come across a terrific way to greatly enhance your sock yarn stash--the "Sock Yarn Knitting Exchange." (And it's also open to crocheters.)

First, you receive a letter (from me) with two names and addresses on it. You send a 100 gr. ball of sock yarn (or two 50-gr. balls--enough to make one pair of socks) to the first person on the letter. Then you send out a new copy of the letter to six knitting (or crocheting) friends with the first name and address from my letter removed, the second name and address in first place, and your name and address in second place.

In short order, you should receive enough yarn to make 36 pairs of socks! Cool, huh? And just as much fun will be seeing who, and where, the yarn comes from.

Now, I know these things often don't pan out exactly as expected. Somewhere along the line, someone usually drops the ball. (Of yarn. Hah!) But I figure if you even receive only one ball of sock yarn, you've broken even. Anything more than that is a bonus.

As it happens, though, I don't know a lot of knitters here. So I'm throwing this open to all of you in yarn cyberspace. If any of you would like to participate in this sock yarn exchange, please e-mail me at elizabeth@elizabethdelisi.com and I'll get your address and send you the info. BTW, this is only open to those in the US and Canada, because of the difficulties of mailing elsewhere. (Not my rule.)

Hope to see lots of you participate!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea!

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the standard setup of fraudulent chain letter pyramid scams. They're illegal for money, probably for yarn too. Check out this article.

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The link didn't make it in the last comment, hope this works:

http://www.interleaves.org/~rteeter/pyramid.html

10:19 PM  
Blogger Katminder said...

That sounds like a great idea, but I think I'm the only knitter of socks in my town! Really gets irritating when I'm at a ball game and someone comes over to observe..."Hey, did you know you can BUY socks @ WalMart? hee hee"

8:40 AM  
Blogger georg said...

I agree with Anon - it's a Ponzi scheme. I've seen them offered for Knit/crochet a 6x6 block too. Send one block, get enough back for an afghan! If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

But if you want to swap, one to one, let me know. I'll consider it.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Minna said...

Mmmm. I definitely prefer trading.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Minna said...

Actually, by trading I have managed to get some great stuff -and get rid of stuff I don't need myself. Last time I traded some stuff I had made for Barbie doll and I got some stuff I can felt. Now I would just need to get some equipments for felting...

1:19 PM  
Blogger Beadknitter said...

As cool as that idea sounds, this type of scheme is illegal in the USofA. I prefer doing swaps myself. They can be a lot of fun.

3:12 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth Delisi said...

Hey everyone...to anyone who doesn't want to participate, no problem. I figure, if it doesn't work, I'm only out a skein of sock yarn. ;-)

I have nothing against trades, either. I'm easy. If there are some of you who'd like to do a trade, let me know, we can set up something...maybe choose names out of a hat to send something to?

Liz

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home