Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Pride Goeth



I was so proud of my Best Foot Forward #2a sock. I finished it Sunday (one week after I started it) and was ready to jump into sock b. (I usually have two running at once but for some reason didn't this time.)

Anyway I was happily admiring my handiwork, praising myself lavishly for my skills, generally being utterly obnoxious when I noticed it: two (count 'em!) two adjacent popped stitches way waaaay up at the top near the cuff.

Where I started knitting.

A whole week ago.

I almost cried. How could I have missed them? When did it happen? Was it when I tried the sock on for length that they split? Why did they split? Was it to make me crazy? To remind me that socks, like books, benefit from revision? (Subtle, huh? My muse is of the mallet-to-the-head variety.)

I know that almost all knitted wrongs can be righted and this is no exception. I got out my trusty steel crochet hook and worked all those purls back up as far as I could and secured them in place. I haven't yet decided how I want to secure them permanently but for the moment they're under control.

Or are they? Is it possible my knitting has a mind of its own, same as all of my electronic equipment? What a horrible thought . . .

Details: 1 skein Rowan CashSoft, US4 Addi Turbo Lace

4 Comments:

Blogger kshotz said...

Beautiful color, lovely pattern, given the yarn you used, I'm guessing luscious to feel.... I say tack down those two pesky stitches and forget them!

Kim in IA

3:39 PM  
Blogger teabird said...

I'm with Kim. That happened to me with a lace scarf. Apparently, one of my k2togs didn't catch both stitches. I used thread...

3:54 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I agree with Kim--the color is lovely, Barbara. So soft and warm and rosy.

Ooh, good hints to remember about any lace booboos I might have made (and I'm sure there are many).

7:12 PM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

There is a Japanese term for imperfections that aren't really imperfections. They are a part of whatever you are creating and therefore make it unique. This might be total BS but it works for me!

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home