Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Finished First Socks!

I finished my first pair of socks! Crocheted, of course, with thanks to Linda Diak for the free pattern. I didn’t know about different weights of yarn when I started these, so they’re perhaps a bit thick in a worsted weight. But they’re super-comfy on, a little more like slippers than socks (but not really actual slippers). When Kevin wears them under his shoes, they bunch up a little at the heel; not sure if that means I made them too big, or if it’s just that the yarn is too heavy (and/or crocheted)?

I do like the yarn, Lion Brand Wool-Ease, pleasant to work with. Washed with a regular load (warm wash, heated dry), and they got nice and soft and didn’t seem to shrink noticeably. The whole project took me about a month, but that's because after I did one sock, I think they sat for at least three weeks before I motivated to start the second one. Next time I do socks, maybe I need to start both at once? Actual crocheting time was only about six hours total, I think.



Even if they don't work fabulously under shoes, they’re definitely warm and snuggly for wandering around the house (a nice layer with actual slippers)! The woods print is rather lovely, in an understated sort of way. And the pattern was super-simple, easy for a beginner. So what if one sock did come out slightly bigger than the other? – so are his feet! :-)



(Feet pictured above are mine, not his, worn with an extra layer of regular socks under the ones I made.)

3 Comments:

Blogger kshotz said...

They look great! I am addicted to sock knitting....just got enough for 4 more pairs at my LYS this morning! I use fingering weight yarn and the socks fit into shoes just fine. I'm tempted to do some worsted weight ones for wearing around the house in the winter.

Kim in IA

3:37 PM  
Blogger LizzieK8 said...

My first socks were several pair of crocheted ones. I think they make great house socks when made of ww. I've never made one from sock yarn but must try it one of these days

6:57 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Crochet seems tobring out the best in Wool-Ease variegated. Great job, Mary Anne! I esp. love the heel. I'm a crocheter but have no idea how you turn a heel in crochet--nice and swirly. Love it!

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home