Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pink-Orange Scarf and Mittens

This scarf and mittens I made for my daughter are by way of being a happy accident.  In the original plan, I was just going to use a cute fuzzy pink-orange yarn for them, simply-crocheted, and be done with them.  That would have worked well enough, I think.


But I didn't have quite enough yarn to make the mittens as long as would be ideal; plus they really needed ties if they were going to stay on my grabby daughter's hands.  But no yarn!  What to do???

I went to my LYS and found Louisa Harding's Kimono Ribbon, which complemented the original colors beautifully, adding a dash of green to the pink and orange.  Bright and charming!  


So I added on a little more length to the mittens, plus some ties.  And then, for good measure, crocheted a few flowers (baby stars from Crochet Bouquet) to add on, as well as adding a bit of fringe.  



I love the finished effect, and Kavi seems reasonably happy with it too.  Success!

6 Comments:

Blogger Katminder said...

Absolutely beautiful! So cute for a little girl. Wish my granddaughter was a little more 'girlie', she prefers Spiderman and Dinosaur mittens! Guess I'll have to learn more stitches!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Precious!

And a belated welcome, Mary Anne.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Mary Anne Mohanraj said...

Of course, the first time we went out to play, she got dirt and dried leaves all over them; ah well. They dusted off okay, and maybe now we'll mostly save them for less...umm...active playing. :-)

At eighteen months, she still doesn't seem to care what she wears, allowing me to indulge my girly impulses (although I also like dressing her in some more traditionally boy clothes too; she has an adorable knight t-shirt). We'll see what she thinks in another year or so...

9:10 PM  
Blogger Katminder said...

Ahh, I remember the days of dressing the kids as I liked, unfortunately it didn't last long with the grandgirl! She became very vocal about colors and clothes at 3, now at 5, there's just no way to get her to wear what she's not in love with. I knitted my first sweater from a pattern (I usually wing it!), self striping yarn, matching socks, turned out so cute! She tried it on and I was so proud. She says, "Nice, Nana, but I don't like it..." and shrugs. Ah well, back to the drawing board!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Wow! Necessity is the mother of beautiful creativity in your case.

9:17 AM  
Blogger kshotz said...

May I ask how long the scarf is? I'm trying to knit a scarf for my 18 mo. nephew and trying to decide if what I'm doing is long enough.
This set is sooo cute! Great colors!

Kim in IA

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home