Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Cupcake and how to finish so it looks professional


Hi everone, I'm finding this blog addictive. First, a photo of the delectable new cupcakes from the cupcake shop down the block. A red velvet beauty!

Next, my biggest knitting issue is finishing. I've been making sweaters in the round because I don't have to deal with putting the sides together. I am now halfway through a cardigan with openwork and I want it to look fantastic. Is there a link or a book or anything that can help me put the pieces together so it doesn't look as though I put the pieces together with a crowbar? I'm at wits end!!

Someone also asked for a bio, so here is this quick, shy version. I'm a novelist, just sold my 9th novel Breathe to Algonquin Books. I write a book column for The Boston Globe an Dame magazine and I'm a book critic for People. I also on the faculty of UCLA, teaching advanced novel writing online--and I have private clients. Oh, and I write scripts. I'm the mother of a fabulous 12 year old son and I have a fabulous journalist husband. We used to have a cranky tortoise (for 20 years), but he died two years ago. We live in NYC's unofficial 6th borough, Hoboken!

So, anyway, I would really, really, really appreciate any tips or help in terms of putting the sweater pieces together.

Thanks everyone!
Caroline

4 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

You have an actual cupcake shop? I'm jealous! I want a cupcake!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Caroline, finishing scares the #*@ out of me. I mean, you knit and knit and knit and then ruin the whole thing with a totally crummy mattress stitch . . . no! I've improved quite a bit since watching Lucy Neatby's DVDs. I usually rely on the written word to teach me what I need to know but I've found I need motion to understand certain knitting techniques.

I highly recommend Lucy Neatby's DVDs (you can find them at www.lucyneatby.com -- poke around and you'll find which DVD contains finishing info; I'd tell you now but I'm upstairs and the DVDs are downstairs). Elizabeth Zimmerman and Meg Swansen do a beautiful job on their DVDs (Knitting Glossary and Knitting Workshop) - you can find them at www.schoolhousepress.com. (You can probably find any of these at WEBS at yarn.com or Jimmy Beans Wool or Patternworks, etc.) Nancy Wiseman's DVD on finishing techniques is also terrific. I know I have a book somewhere in my office on finishing--email me privately with your address and I'd be happy to send it to you.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Red velvet cake! My favorite! You're making me drool on my keyboard.

Welcome, fellow New Jerseyan! I didn't realize you are a resident of the Garden State. There are lots of us on this blog. Of course, NJ is my adopted state; I grew up in West Virginia. Yeehaw!

Now I will be looking for your name in the People Magazine book reviews. I always read those with great interest because I find them very useful and well written. I've read many a good book on People's recommendation.

Again, welcome to the blog!

10:03 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

Oh Caroline, I can so identify with the finishing struggles. It's one reason why I love socks -- when they're done, they're done. I also love top-down sweaters for the same reason.

Welcome to this blog!

Cindi

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home