Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Best Thing in my Mailbox after Christmas



I just received my first knitting magazine ever, Creative Knitting, and I am so excited. Now I understand the thrill of turning the pages and seeing project after project that make my fingers itch to knit them. Let’s see, there’s the Chattahoochee Scarf, the Ever-Cross Sweater, the Knit It Down sweater (my daughter has requested this one already), the Zigzag Drama Throw, the Felted Fantasy Purse…well, you get the picture.

It’s also a bit like vicarious knitting: I can get some of the pleasure of actually making the projects just by looking at the photos, reading the instructions and contemplating what colorway I might want to use for my own version. It’s fun and cheap and I totally get why everyone loves getting a magazine in the mail on a regular basis.

I subscribed to this particular publication because it was the only knitting publication offered by the band’s subscription drive. (Yes, everything comes back to the band, even now when marching band season is over!) BTW, you can get an issue free if you’re interested. Just go to the CK website, sign up and as long as you don’t mind sending back the invoice marked “cancel”, you can check out Creative Knitting for yourself.

Now I’m curious about what other knitting magazines are out there. Does anyone here at RTY have one—or two or three—they’d recommend?

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger LauraP said...

Vogue Knitting
Interweave Knits
Cast-on (for Knitting Guild of America members

I know there are others. Beware! This is the first step down the path to an out-of-control knitting stash because you'll have patterns marked, and then you'll need to stock the yarn for that pattern while the right color's available, and it's downhill from there.

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite knitting magazines are Vogue, Knitters and Interweave Knits. I usually find a pattern or article worth the price.
Holly in CT

10:53 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Interwave Knits. Interweave Knits. And did I mention Innterweave Knits?

12:11 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Okay, so I can't spell Interweave Knits but you know what I mean . . .

12:11 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Why is Interweave Knits so popular? Are the patterns easy enough for an amateur like me?

11:14 AM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

I'm a knitting magazine virgin, so I'll have to look into this. That sweater on the cover is gorgeous.

11:15 AM  
Blogger kshotz said...

I like Knit Scene (also from Interweave Press) and Knit 'N Style as well.

Kim

2:04 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Cindi, that's the sweater my daughter wants me to knit for her! LOL

Thanks for all these great recommendations. I'm going to check out their websites and add at least one to my subscription list now that I know how much fun knitting mags are.

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home