Sunday, July 01, 2007

What The Well-Dressed 6 Month Old Will Wear


Thanks for all the comments both on- and offline. I'm shelving the socks idea for the moment and waffling between a sweater and my trusty babies-love-it blanket. I know the baby would appreciate the blanket more than the sweater but I'm not feeling particularly crochet-prone right now.
Let me explain the problem. See the brightly colored sweater on the right in the photo? That's the one I have my heart set on knitting for my friend's six month old grandson. The baby has had a bit of a rough start and now that he's doing well again I'd like to celebrate the fact with something handmade. The brightly colored sweater is from Creative Knitting's November 2004 issue which I carefully pulled from the magazine and stored safely in those plastic page protector thingies. Only problem is I didn't pull page 96. Yep, page 96 which contains directions for the front of the sweater and the sleeves.
I went to the mag's website and they don't maintain an online archive of patterns or offer back issues for sale. I emailed the editor and am now waiting with crossed fingers.
I like the other sweater very much--simple top-down on circs. What's not to like? But the other sweater has my imagination. The yarn is Sirdar something or other, very soft, machine washable and dryable, DK weight.
I have to make up my mind today because we're heading out tomorrow and I want a great driving project underway. Any baby suggestions gratefully received.
For a woman who spent the first 18 years of her life in a bedroom with a view of the railroad (maybe 50 yards from said window) and the General Diaper Service factory (mayber 300 yards from said window) I discovered I don't know the half of the diaper situation. Or that there's a diaper controversy out there. Who knew? The funny thing is that it led me to Google "General Diaper Elmhurst Queens NYC" and I discovered it's still there. Need I tell you that there were times when the air floating over Cornish Avenue wasn't exactly redolent of roses? I wonder if there's another curly-haired girl staring out the window at 83-17 and plotting her escape . . .
Back later with contest winners!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Begin on the sweater back and hope like hell the editor comes through for you. Wish I could be more help - like having page 96 for you.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that stinks! I wished I had that page for you but my magazine subscription doesn't go back that far. Hope the editor can help you out or that someone reading this blog has said magazine still.

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might have that--give me a chance to search trhough the knitting library around here, and I'll let you know. It's iffy because I had just started knitting then, but I did have a subscription to them at one point.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found it! If you still need a copy, let me know your email address and I'll scan it and send off the missing pages of the pattern. And I might be knitting this for my short person soon....

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home