Saturday, June 30, 2007

Questions about babies

Admission: I know about as much about babies as I do about nuclear physics and I don't know anything about nuclear physics so when it comes to brand new humans I'm flying blind.

So here are my questions and the why of these questions will be revealed tomorrow when I have time to snap some photos and gather my brains after a fun-filled afternoon at the township dump. (It was Annual Dump Day. Do I know how to have fun or what?)

1. Do six month old babies still burp?
2. Do six month old babies need burping cloths?
3. Had you ever heard of a burping cloth before I posed question #2?
3. How big is your average six month old baby?
4. Why would anyone of right mind knit a garment (the aptly-named soaker) designed to absorb urine? (NOTE: When I typed the question I had no idea that cloth diapers still existed or that "soakers" served a legitimate purpose. If I inadvertently hurt any knitterly feelings, I'm sorry. What I don't know about babies and parenting could fill the Library of Congress.)
5. How big is the foot of a one year old child?
6. If I decided to knit a pair of socks for said one year old child, how many stitches do you think I'd need to cast on. I'm thinking 30 but am I knitting for Big Foot?

Thanking one and all in advance, I remain
Bewildered in Central NJ

7 Comments:

Blogger Trishy said...

1. Do six month old babies still burp?
I'm thirty and I hope that I keep burping til I die.
2. Do six month old babies need burping cloths?
Not really.
3. Had you ever heard of a burping cloth before I posed question #2?
Yes
3. How big is your average six month old baby?
Depends on a number of factors but I would say about 15-20 ish lbs., though many are bigger. Most babies have doubled their birth weight by the time they are 6 months.
4. Why would anyone of right mind knit a garment (the aptly-named soaker) designed to absorb urine?
Because some people (myself included) use cloth diapers. The soaker acts as a waterproof cover to keep urine from getting on the stuff outside of the diaper.
5. How big is the foot of a one year old child?
Again depends, average about 4 1/2-5"
6. If I decided to knit a pair of socks for said one year old child, how many stitches do you think I'd need to cast on. I'm thinking 30 but am I knitting for Big Foot?
Depends on your gauge.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Kenyetta said...

I agree with Trishy on all the answers.
Using sz 2 with 7st to an inch gauge, I cast on 45 for my 7 yr old. She smaller than average feet. She is in an 11/12 shoe.

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. 6 month old babies still burp. Mines 11 months now and she burps quite often. :~)

2. Most babies even at that age can still spit up after eating. Mine still spits up so I always have burp cloths all around the house.

3. Not sure about that one. My youngest is kinda on the small side. I'd wager to guess around 14-16 lbs. That's just a rough guess. :~)

4. Got me. I've never knit a soaker but then again I don't use cloth diapers for my kiddo. They are cute though. :~)

5. My little one has a foot about 4.5" long and about 4.5" foot circumference.

6. If your gauge is around 8 sts per inch I'd cast on about 30-36. I'd go with a 2x2 ribbing and make the foot a little longer then needed so that you can get some use out of them. The ribbing also helps if you don't have exact foot measurements. Plus the ribbing will help keep the socks on their feet.

Hope this helps you out. :~)

12:42 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

So "soaker" is actually a literal term. I'm such a slow knitter that by the time I finished one, it would be needed at the other diapered side of life. I figured "soaker" was either a name for something not really meant as a diaper cover or a decorative cover for something plastic-y and waterproof.

Another question: doesn't wool stretch out when wet and gap, etc.?

I think this is, for me, like knitted dishcloths. All that time and effort to scrub out a pot. I'm waaaaay too slow a knitter. I think I'd do bodily harm to anyone who tried to wash anything with my (inept) knitting.

Apologies if my blunt question offended anyone. It wasn't the intent.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

I didn't mention gauge . . . geez. Thanks, all, for not pointing out the fact that I'm a MORON.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do 6 month old babies need a burp cloth? Mine's 9 months old now, and I still use burp cloths--to wipe off all that darned drool from teething. I don't really know about socks--I've currently given up on trying to keep socks on this kid.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Trishy said...

Another question: doesn't wool stretch out when wet and gap, etc.?

Most soakers are made with worsted weight yarn in a guage that makes an effective waterproof barrier. Wool can absorb a lot of moisture before it starts to feel wet. You also lanolize wool soakers occasionally to keep them more waterproof.

No offense taken here, I don't expect everyone to know about babies, just like I don't expect other people to understand knitting. :)

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home