Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Laura's 7 Random Facts

1. My three kids are so close in age that I had 3 in diapers at once, 3 in high school, and now all 3 are in college.

2. Like Cindi, I’ve had goats in the house. I wasn’t lucky enough to grow up on a goat dairy, but we’ve had our own small herd for ten years now. At any given time, I might have lambs, goat kids, a sick rabbit, injured duck, or a box of just-hatched chicks. Once I even kept a wounded wild turkey hen in the bathroom overnight. The current indoor tally is three housecats and 68 eggs in the incubator.

3. My favorite color is green.

4. My favorite summer is the one I spent traveling with both my daughters, then teenagers, in an RV. We hit several western states, crossed Canada, toured Alaska, and had many adventures, some of which we still haven't shared with the rest of the family. (The guys say they don't want to know, but I know they really do.)

5. I used to peel a lemon and eat it for for lunch every day in the eighth grade. It began as a prank, and after a few days I started to like them a lot. Before long, it became clear I’d started a trend.

6. My first blue ribbon win was for a lined crochet purse entered in the county fair. I was 11, and my grandmother had to convince the judge that I really had made it all by myself. That part took 2 minutes. It took another two hours to pry Grandma away from her new-found friend.

7. My most embarrassing moment occurred on a windy day in downtown Kansas City, and it involved a full circle skirt. Remember those? A gust of wind caught me surprise as I was getting out of the car, and it blew my skirt high and wild, exposing my less-than-best undies to a group of businessmen on a smoking break, a salesman in the next car, the window-washers (also on break not ten feet away) and whoever happened to be looking out the window of the 12-story mirrored glass building behind me. The next day, I made it happen to the heroine in the book I was writing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I wouldn't want to see your tuition bills! :-)

8:03 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

I loved that you used the skirt incident in a book! I've done that sort of thing.

I love baby chicks! -- you're going to have a lot when those eggs hatch. I used to love going to the feed store when the new chicks arrived each spring.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home