Saturday, May 19, 2007

Seven Random Things About Me

I've been tagged! It's my first time (she says, blushing) and I'm actually quite excited. Steel City Knitter wants to know Seven Random Things about me and while none of the seven things are earthshaking, I'll tell you anyway.

And consider yourselves tagged too. Romancing The Yarners can blog 'em right here. The rest of you can let us know where to find your answers in the comments section.

In keeping with the rules stated on Steel City Knitter's blog, I am officially tagging Nancy, Dallas, Fran, Cindi, Jamie, Elizabeth, and LauraP who (I hope) will share 7 random facts about themselves here in the blog. SCK says, "Those tagged need to write in their blogs the 7 facts, as well as the rules of the game. You need to tag 7 others and list their names on your blog. You have to leave those you plan on tagging a note in their comments so they know that they have been tagged and to read your blog."

So here we go:

1. I am probably the only English/Swedish/Romanian/Chippewa Indian you'll ever meet.

2. I thought the whole world cast on the way I did until I saw somebody do the long tail in 2003 and almost fainted dead away from the shock. Turns out there's a whole world of cast on methods out there and nobody (and I mean nobody) had ever used anything even remotely like my weird way.

3. In the spring of 1986 I was walking from the parking lot to the supermarket in Copiague on Long Island when I heard the sound of bagpipes. I was cresting a little grassy hill. I was all alone. I stopped and I swear to you a man in a kilt seemed to appear from nowhere. I literally couldn't move from the spot. Still playing, he marched right past, turned around and winked, then continued on past King Kullen like there was nothing unusual about it.

4. I love John Adams, second president of the United States. I'd probably have been a John Adams groupie if I'd lived in the 18th century. (Those pesky Alien & Sedition Acts? Pish tosh. A mere lapse in judgment.)

5. I am deeply moved by needlework. I can't explain it but there's a strong emotional connection for me. A few years ago Goldisox and I visited John and Abigail Adams's home in Braintree and I was so overcome with emotion over being in their home that the guide ushered us into another room and unlocked a dresser drawer. I didn't know what to expect. She reached in and reverently withdrew Abigail's lace wedding veil. She laid it in my arms and I started to cry. I should find the photo and post it. I swear to you I felt like I had somehow connected with Abigail through that beautiful length of lacework.

6. My mother's father was engaged to my father's mother when I was a baby. They broke up when Grandma had the engagement ring appraised. She would have been Grandpa's fifth wife. He would have been her third husband.

7. My grandfather Fuller was born in Halifax Nova Scotia. His governess was Anna Leonowens of The King & I fame. She worked for the family after her time in Siam. The family gave her this brooch when she left their employ and she willed it back to my grandfather, with affection, upon her death.

8 Comments:

Blogger Charissa said...

I don't know which is cooler- #5 or #7!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Lori's Light Extemporanea said...

I also adore John and Abigail Adams and swooned upon being in their home. Unfortunately I was not given the opportunity to hold Abigail's wedding veil...I'm insanely jealous!

If it makes you feel any better, I'm a Swedish/Irish/English/Choctaw mixture. And my bio children are all that plus their daddy's Russian.

10:24 PM  
Blogger georg said...

At the meeting of the moms for my wedding, my mother-in-law commented, "Congden! That's an unusual last name! Any relation to Archie?" My mom replied, "Archie was my grandfather." My mother-in-law got disturbingly enthusiastic. "My mom was his second wife! I lived with them through high school." At which point, mom recognized her. They dove into their archives and pulled out pictures of both of them at the same family reunions which stopped before I was born. No blood relation between us, but if there was, we'd be second cousins once removed. This was creepy enough to my sweetie to where he slept on the couch that night.

2. My daddy is a rocket scientist and looks just like Leonard Nimoy.

3. I've snuck onto the set of Deep Space 9 and pretended to have a drink in the bar.

4. I went to France for lunch. (Living in London at that time, took train and ferry to Calais, found a restaurant, and made our way back- took all day).

5. I play Vanguard: Saga of Heroes far, far too much. I used to play EverQuest the same way.

6. Ask me anything about historical plumbing, and I can probably babble for hours and provide pictures. I can do the same thing with making booze... and cheese.

7. I've dressed in medival armor and beat people up for fun. (SCA)

7:39 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

This is a lot of fun! Keep adding stuff, guys! I'm fascinated.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Neat stuff! That's an absolutely fabulous story about Abigail's wedding veil - do please post a picture if you can find it!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Georg, I wanna do your Nos. 4 and 7.

4:09 PM  
Blogger georg said...

If I did #4 today, it would cost several thousand dollars, I think- intercontinental flight, etc. But because we were in London, it was about $50 total, including the $20 I spent on my meal. We had student discounts and didn't need to sleep. It was worth it. They were having a festival dragging beauty queens through the streets in dogsleds- only it was really warm so the sleds were making horrible noise. And someone was getting married, so outside the town hall, there was a car wrapped in *real* lace. Apparently in France, everyone marries in the Town Hall and then drives to the Church for celebratory Mass, and then on to the reception. But the Real Lace blew me away.

As for donning armor, I'd be happy to tell you where your local SCA group is, and I'm sure they'd help you into armor and go through your first fighting lesson. Age is not a factor- I know a knight still fighting in his late 60s. Want something more "modern" than medival? They often have fencing. And it's easier to fence because they calibrate to touch and the blows aren't as hard. I know a Don who has cerebral palsy and fences. And Gender doesn't matter. :)

5:38 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

This is absolutely fascinating. I will have to think of my sevend things -- but I have no idea who I'd tag to be 'it'

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home