Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Blueberry Hill (AKA Low-Fat & Luscious)

With apologies to both Fats Domino and Tennyson, in the spring a young-at-heart woman's fancy turns to ... blueberries. And to blueberry dessert recipes as low in fat and as luscious as possible. Following is one of my family's favorites:

Blueberry Cream Pie

1 Graham Cracker Pie Crust (store-bought works but check fat content)

Mix together in a bowl:

1 14 ounce can Eagle Brand fat-free, sweeted condensed milk
Juice of 2 lemons
1/2 Cup evaporated skim milk (in place of heavy cream)

In another bowl, fold together lightly:

2 Cups fresh blueberries (well-dried after rinsing)
(frozen unsugared blueberries work, too)
1 Cup fat-free Cool Whip (or whipped topping of your choice)

Fold 2nd bowl into 1st bowl and put it all in the graham cracker pie crust. Chill in the refrigerator at least 6-8 hours before serving. After slicing, spoon any leftover berries on each piece.

Enjoy!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

OH FRAN! Blueberries! Where do I begin? We are big fans of the blueberry around here . . . not to mention being big fans of graham cracker crust (why do people waste time with that awful fat-and-flour thing that's so popular?) and whipped topping. You made my day!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Barbara:

Last night I finished reading Just Like Heaven. Being a heart attack survivor (with five stents and one carotid artery surgery to date), I have to say you did a terrific job on your research.

But the basic story ... oh, it was so moving. I can only hope the book I'm working on now is half as good.

Next I'm reading Cindi and Jamie. Already have their books on my nightstand.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Oh yummy, this sounds delicious! I'm printing it right out and putting the ingredients on my grocery list. Thanks, Fran!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

P.S. I agree with Fran about how wonderfully moving JUST LIKE HEAVEN is. It made me really think about certain aspects of my life. I loved it!

4:23 PM  
Blogger Dallas Schulze said...

You know, I'd bet that this is the first time in history that an apology has been ushered simultaenously to Fats Domino and Tennyson.

The recipe looks scrumptious!

4:57 PM  
Blogger Knitterary said...

This looks yummy. Do you think it would work with black cherries too?

Theresa S.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

It works with strawberries, Kniterary, so it should work with black cherries. Give it a try and let me know.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home