Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The End!


Finished at last...almost. The knitting's done, but I do still need to weave in the tails. That'll have to wait until my wrist finishes healing. Grr. Grr. Grumble!
So why is my wrist out of commission and my fine motor skills missing? Ice. Ice. Ice. It's nearly gone now, but until yesterday I still couldn't get from house to barn without crossing a long nasty slick patch. For nearly a month this winter, I've skated about in my barn boots. I nearly always stayed upright - my statistics of safe steps are impressive, given how many steps I take going about my daily outdoor routine. Still, a slip here, a slide there, and whoops! A little entertainment for the farmer who just brought his big tractor over to move the big hay bales for me. Another bruise for my collection. The wrist gave out after the third fall in three days where I flung out my arms to catch myself and ease the impact. The damage isn't serious, just inconvenient. I'm not known for my patience though.
Anyway, about the shawl in the picture --
The yarn - 6 balls Tahki Sable, dark teal
The pattern - Children of Lir Rectangular Stole from Alice Waterman's book 'Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls'
I wanted a shawl long enough to wrap around me with an end tossed comfortably over my shoulder, so I added a few extra repeats of the pattern. Now...if the wrist will just heal so I can do the last little bits...so I can start the wrist warmers I promised my daughters...so I can stop wearing this annoying brace. Which is doubly annoying when in the middle of the night I aim to flip a tickling tendril of hair away from my nose and end up whacking myself with the reinforced steel side of the brace. Grr. Grr. Grumble.
With motor skills like this, it's wise to leave the needles alone for a while, don't you think?

7 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

Oh no! Hope you heal up quickly... (Shall I ship you some Yak Tracks? They're all the not-so-fashionable rage here on icy days...)

9:57 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

Laura it's gorgeous!! I love the color and the pattern is beautiful.

I'm so sorry about your wrist. I slipped on the ice two years ago and broke my wrist. I now have five screws and a large piece of metal in my wrist -- I'm glad you didn't have to face that.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Kenyetta said...

Very nice! The color is awesome.
I have always wanted to make a shawl- I just don't have the attention span!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Beautiful, Laura! Just beautiful.

Sending white healing light your way. I too have been slip-sliding over those last little patches of ice. And consider myself lucky not to have fallen.

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! Your poor wrist!

I love the color of that shawl. Just gorgeous.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

That is one stunning shawl!

I'm SO sorry to hear about your wrist--what bad luck! May it heal swiftly!

5:00 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

OMG! How did I miss this post? Laura, first, I'm so sorry about the wrist and hope it's well on its way to being 100%. Ice is terrifying. Give me snow any day.

The Children of Lir shawl is breathtaking! You must be over the moon.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home