Monday, December 11, 2006

Hats!


Like many of you, my fingers have been flying, making Christmas gifts. So far I've completed two sets of handwarmers, a scarf, and the three hats shown here.

These hats were the answer to a prayer. I have two twenty-something nephews whom I dearly love -- but who are impossible to buy gifts for. So I get them gift cards. But I hate to give just a gift card. Then I remembered that they and almost every other young man I know wear knit beanies. A quick search of the web turned up a knit beanie pattern which their grandmother assures me my nephews will love. So the maroon and green beanies are for them.

Upon seeing the beanies I knit for the boys, my husband requested one for himself -- but with a cuff he could turn up or down according to the weather. Hence the blue one.

These were knit from Lion Wool-ease and were amazingly fast --each took about one long evening. You can find the pattern here: http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/hats/london-beanie.htm

9 Comments:

Blogger monica said...

I have made several of those London Beanies. My son loves that hat as do several of his friends. I am sure your nephews will too.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Thanks for the pattern link, Cindi. I made something similar last year for son and nephews. Now they're all hinting they're ready for new ones. You're right about pairing them with a gift card. They think it's the coolest!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Jamie Denton said...

Cindi - What a great idea! Thanks for the link. These would be perfect for the sons and grand young 'uns as they all live in cold weather country.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Terrific hats, Cindi! I'm challenged in the hat knitting department. I made a bouquet of truly terrible ones last year and the year before. They looked like flat pancakes with no personality. Yours are fabulous and your nephews will be thrilled!!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Those are great hats! Don't listen to Barbara: she sent me a gorgeous hat last year.

I admire all of you who make multiple Christmas gifts. I don't think I'll even have my husband's scarf finished. How do you do it amidst all the other holiday stuff you have on your plates?

6:05 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

My knitting goes everywhere with me this time of year, Nancy. I made most of a hat the other night while waiting for a concert to begin, and I get a lot done in the car when my husband and I are on the way somewhere.

6:30 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

Thanks so much for the pattern link. Great hats!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Ah, Cindi, if only I could knit in the car but I get wretchedly car sick. Otherwise I would be a veritable knitting factory (since my family all live at least two and a half hours away from here). How I envy you your stable stomach!

10:40 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

Nancy -- I actually am very prone to car sickness. I absolutely cannot read in a car. So I have to knit something that doesn't require a lot of close scrutiny or reading directions.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home