Friday, November 03, 2006

GET FELTED - Day 3


***GUEST PET: Meet the beautiful Cookie, who rules Jamie Denton's household.

"This is Foxycat’s Blazing Temptress aka Cookie, shortly after she came to us. She’s a mere six months old here and is a red Somali. We acquired her from a fabulous breeder in Oklahoma.

Somalis, sometimes called the little fox make wonderful companions, and our Cookie is no exception. She’s intelligent and affectionate. Most Somali cats are known for being extroverts and extremely social, but our girl is a throwback and is definitely a mama’s girl. Somalis are also quite active. They toss toys around and even play fetch. And if you should acquire a Somali with what we call the grooming gene you can bet she’ll always try to make you look your best. Cookie is even quite adept at opening cupboard and drawers, so I often never know where I might find her when she decides it’s time to play hide ‘n seek. She also likes to play Commando Kitty when I’m making the bed and once managed to get herself trapped beneath the fitted sheet."***

For me it's still all about socks. I meant to cast on for another Perfect Pouch last night. I really did. I figured a Perfect Pouch would be the perfect accompaniment to an annoying hour watching Grey's Anatomy continue to self-destruct.

Well, I didn't. I made a sock instead. Two-thirds of a sock but a sock nonetheless. You see, there's a pile of grey Sirdar Highlander leftover. And I was sitting on the couch within reach of both yarn and Addi Turbos. So I decided to play. I figured I'd try Knitty's Magic Cast On and see if I could make it prettier with chunky yarn than I could with fingering yarn. Not only was it pretty, it was perfect! Hmm. So I continued to knit. And knit. And when I reached the heel I figured why not try the commercial heel that was mentioned in the Tulsa skyline socks in SOCKS SOCKS SOCKS. I'd already memorized it so I didn't have to get up and look for the pattern.

Who knew it could be so incredibly easy? It was so easy it felt wrong. Sinful, almost. Imagine you have 36 stitches. Knit 35 and turn. Purl 34 and turn. Knit 33 and turn. Purl 32 and turn. Continue until you have 12 worked stitches in the center flanked by 12 unworked stitches on either side. K 12 stitches, right up to the gap. Now wtth the tip of the LEFT needle, pick up two threads from the gap then knit 3 stitches together with the RIGHT needle. Turn. Follow the same idea on the P side. Repeat until all stitches have been worked and you have a perfect, gap-free commercial heel!!!

First Dawn tells us we can use our dryers when we full/felt. Now I discover a heel so easy it's enough to make a grown woman cry.

So far I really like November.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cindi Myers said...

Cookie is gorgeous! And she does resemble a beautiful fox.

11:02 AM  
Blogger LauraP said...

What a beautiful, fun kitty!

Barbara - Sounds like you had a great knitting day. Isn't it interesting what happens when we give ourselves permission to play -works for me when I'm writing, too.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Jamie Denton said...

Awww, thanks so much. Cookie adores the compliments. She's truly a very special girl, even if her ego is bigger than her fluffy tail.

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home