Thursday, November 02, 2006

Remembrance of Halloweens Past

I miss Halloween costumes. Or more precisely, I miss creating them with my children. This year my 14-year-old son went to a friend’s house to jump out of the bushes and scare the younger trick-or-treaters. My 16-year-old daughter bought a pair of ready-made butterfly wings and strapped them on over her standard daily outfit of black shirt and jeans so she could accompany her best friend’s little sister on the candy-acquiring mission.

In the old days, we’d raid the costume box and craft supplies to create something original and appropriate to whatever interested my children at the time. I don’t sew (that’s what dry cleaners are for) but I am very handy with glue, duct tape, scissors and paint and it became a challenge to work around the sewing-deficit. Now, of course, I'd just knit up a costume.

My proudest moment was turning my son into a Gameboy when he was six years old. We all contributed to that costume and his friends had a great time "playing" him. (My daugther's Oriental outfit came from the costume box except for the fan. It was my mother's. I never once saw her use it but I've kept it all these years for some unfathomable reason.)



What was your favorite Halloween costume ever?

3 Comments:

Blogger kshotz said...

I wore my dad's Santa outfit after we three kids were all old enough to know the truth (I was probably on the verge of being too old to be out trick-or-treating!) I caught a lot of flack from folks accusing Santa of stocking up for re-use in Christmas stockings at a later date!

Kim

11:20 PM  
Blogger georg said...

Mom made a dress for my sister to play Queen Elizabeth in a play. I don't know what happened to the dress, but I still fit into the petticoat.

I remember planing elaborate costumes for myself and then being horribly dissappointed that I could not wear them properly because I had to wear a winter coat under them. It's impossible to be a Greek Deity when you have a very bulky bright purple winter coat underneath your toga.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Hey, Kshotz, Santa was just planning ahead. Nothing wrong with that!

Georg, LOL on the coat issue. This year Halloween was delightfully warm so all the princesses could show off their finery but there have been times when the flamenco dancer or Egyptian queen had to wear a turtleneck and long underwear and she was NOT happy.

Of course the year she was Queen Amidala and had long, heavy sleeves, the temperature soared.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home