Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Embellishments


Here are my finished felted slippers. Very warm and cozy, and I love how they shaped to fit my feet exactly. (Sorry, I forgot to take a 'before' picture. I finished them late at night and was too anxious to get them into the washing machine.) I felted them in a front-loading washing machine with a squirt of dishwashing liquid and a pair of my husband's jeans. They did great. Dried them stuffed with plastic bags.

Note the pom-poms. These are attached with safety pins so I can remove them for washing the slippers. Though the slippers were attractive enough without the pom-poms, my love of embellishment demanded an extra touch.

I am a person who loves embellishments -- pom-poms, tassles, ribbon, lace. I've been known to remove plain bone buttons from a blouse to replace them with fancy pewter buttons. When I make jewelry I use fancy clasps even on the necklaces, even though no one can see the clasps beneath my hair. I know they're there.

This love of fancy stuff does get me into trouble at times. Rather than knit a plain pair of socks, I must have cables. Complicated patterns. Anything that is guaranteed to take more time than I ever imagined. Right now I'm making a quilt that is composed of seemingly hundreds of tiny pieces of fabric. I'm beginning to think I will never finish piecing this thing. Always in the midst of a project like this I think "Why did I ever decide to do something so complicated?"

Hmmmm -- come to think of it, I often moan like that in the middle of books as well.

I think people are either into embellishments or they are not. My mother was a plain person who delighted in simplicity and elegance. She didn't like anything 'fussy.' While I recognize the value of restraint I definitely did not inherit my mother's love of the plain. Given a choice between the elegant, understated package and the one with shiny paper and a fancy bow, I'll go with the fancy bow every time.

And wear pom-poms on my slippers.

6 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Which pattern did you use? They don't appear to be the same shape as the Fiber Trends clogs I've been making. I like your pompoms!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Oh, how cute, Cindi! Likw Julie, I'd like to know which pattern you used.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I love the pom-poms; they're a nice touch of whimsy. The slippers are such gorgeous colors.

We all have our signature styles. I like classic with a quirk. I'll dress in gray flannels and a cashmere sweater and then add funky earrings that don't quite go. Our very formal Victorian dining room has a totally modern artisan clock that defies description tucked into a corner. I can't seem to stop myself from pushing the effect just slightly off-kilter.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

Here is a link to the pattern I used: http://www.angelhairyarn.com/freepattern0104.html

Very, very easy. Knit a rectangle, decrease at the toe, sew up the back and across the top of the foot, then felt. I went to Jo-Ann's intending to buy Lion Wool, but they didn't have any, so I ended up with some variegated cheap stuff. It took every last bit of two skeins for the slippers, hence the contrasting pom-poms. And I like your style, Nancy!

12:07 AM  
Blogger monica said...

I don't think your pom poms are fussy at all. They look great. I put plastic shopping bags over my feet and wear my slippers for about 30 minutes to shape them to my feet and then stuff them with plastic bags. A perfect fit every time.

1:06 AM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

Yes, Monica, I forgot to mention that I did wear mine while they were slightly damp to insure a 'custom' fit.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home