Tuesday, October 03, 2006

SOCK HOP - Day 3








Fred MacMurray. What more is there to say?










Look at Kim's gorgeous sock!



Kim says: "I switched the pattern and used LynnH's No Purl Heel rather than what the original pattern called for."


From the sublime to the less than, I finished the foot, the heel, and half of the leg in the car today. (Yesterday.) I hope to finish the entire thing by the end of the day but I'm not sure I'll have the luxury of all that knitting time.

I see what the fuss is all about. (No, I'm not talking about Fred MacMurray.) These socks work up at the speed of light. Without the heel flap and all those extra gusset stitches you can really race through a pair of toe-ups with short row heels and toes. I don't think they'd work for Goldisox (needs the gusset room for very high insteps) but I just might give it a try anyway.

And, to my amazement, I did the heel from memory. I'd set out THE Wendy's book to take with me then left it on the kitchen table. Seems like I somehow absorbed everything I needed to know during those aborted attempts at the pcco toe and I whipped through the heel without a mistake or a moment's hesitation. Who knew??

It's almost one in the morning so no pictures yet. I'll add them to this post when I get up.

Okay. Here's the photo which is current as of 11 a.m. on Day 3. It's funny but I didn't notice the pooling until I saw it in the photo. Now I wonder how I missed it. (Oh yeah. I was knitting at midnight in a dark car. Duh.) I don't recall that it happened with THE Wendy's STR "Lucy" but I'm going to check her archives and see.

lucyday3 Terrible photo and for that my apologies. The sock has its imperfections but I'm enjoying every second of it and learning a lot. Besides a little pooling never hurt anyone. It doesn't hurt the sock and it doesn't hurt me. Let's hear it for chaos theory as it applies to knitting!

14 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

No fair, Barbara! I haven't even gotten past increasing for the toe. Slow down and give us turtles a chance to catch up with you! :-)

10:04 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

P.S. What exactly is Fred Murray dressed for? Disco dancing or deer huntin'?

10:06 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

I'm thinking Fred just might have been the father of the Village People.

And no I'm not fast, Nancy. I just had the luxury of lots of knitting hours. That can make a big difference.

11:49 AM  
Blogger kshotz said...

Wow, this is turning out gorgeous! I've become deviant on my sock after frogging the heel flap. I changed the pattern and did my favorite heel instead. Now I've got the gusset picked up and am carrying on as if nothing strange happened on the heel! I'll put a pic in the flickr spot.

ps...the heel I like is called LynnH's No Purl Heel from her "Mom's Fast Florida Footsies" pattern.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Hey, Kshotz, I'm doing a LynnH sock pattern (thanks to Barbara's guidance). Mine's called First-time Toe-up which seemed very appropriate for me.

I'm not even close to the heel so I don't know what kind it is--but I'll find out one of these days.

BTW, I think we could do something really fun with "deviant" sock knitting.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Barbara, why is your sock pooling on the ankle when it striped so nicely on the foot? Has the pattern changed a lot?

(Just curious about those more advanced than I am.)

3:19 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Nancy, pooling is a common problem with cuff-down heel flap/gusset patterns (esp. nasty with Cascade Fixation.) One way around it is to tie on a new ball of yarn (maybe solid color for contrast at toes and heels) then resume the original ball when you launch the leg or foot (depending on what orientation you're knitting.)

That said, I didn't expect the problem with toe-ups w/o flap & gusset construction. It took me by surprise.

3:26 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

I kind of like the pooling effect. What are the chances of accomplishing that intentionally?

3:40 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

(This is my third try at posting a comment. I keep getting the "that blog does not exist" error message. Yikes!)

Anyway, Laura, the chances are maybe zero. I think this is the result of using the heavier weight STR "Lucy" along with a needle size plucked from the ether and a new (to me) pattern.

Besides, isn't this part of the process? You have to expect the unexpected with handpainted yarns (they're works of art, after all, and not pre-fab clones) and struggling knitters.

BTW, I love the way you think!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Kim, your sock is STUNNING!

Barbara, thanks for explaining the pooling problem to me. Personally, I like it--it's psychedelic.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Nancy, I'm with you. I prefer the pooling too. In fact I'm working the ribbing now for the cuff and the pooling is quite attractive.

Regimented stripes don't do much for me. Now I have to figure out a way to pool all of sock #2!

7:17 PM  
Blogger kshotz said...

Thanks everyone! My original comment about the sock turning out gorgeous was aimed at Barbara's Lucy sock, just so that everyone knows!! I love the colors of that yarn and they DO look like Wendy's cat Lucy!

Deviant knitting.....definitely should be something we could do there! ;-)

8:36 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Kim, you're sweet but if my sock looked like your sock I'd wear it on my head so everyone could see it!

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To answer the question about pattern and yarn, I am making the Jaywalker socks using Socks that Rock, colorway Queen Rock. I am modifying the pattern to suit my needs, no ribs and Sherman heel.
On the needles, with the idea of destashing, I also have a pair of footies, Soxie's style pattern, using France + from Pingouin yarn.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home