Sunday, August 22, 2010

I really should be embarrassed...

It's been a little crazy around here the last few days. Three weeks ago I broke my toe for the second time. The first time I broke the toe was six years ago when I was hurrying out of the bathroom to get downstairs in time to see Regis & Kelly's host chat. How embarrassing is that? Well, this time I was walking across the family room to give Groucho a Cracker Jack and crashed into the hassock. How embarrassing redux, right?

A broken toe is more of an inconvenience than a catastrophe and I was getting around great when The Husband made a running dive to catch a forty pound upright vac that was flying down the staircase under its own steam. He lunged left, vac sailed right, he pivoted, caught the vac but did something ugly to his back.

Moral: Save your back. You can replace a vacuum cleaner. Backs? Not so easy.

So the last few days have been filled with wifely duties, lots of teasing, and lots of knitting while I kept him company upstairs. He's about 80% back to normal and I managed to cast on and complete the gorgeous Burning Embers designed by Kristy Howell.

What a beautifully written, clearly designed, delightfully absorbing project! I can't say enough good things about Kristy Howell or Burning Embers.

Here it is in the just-beyond-cast on stage:


Here it is hot off the needles:


And here it is right now, post-blocking and drying on top of the washing machine:


Next time you see Burning Embers, it will have buttons and be all ready to face the fall with lots of knitterly attitude.

A few details: Knit Picks Harmony US6. Noro Silk Garden #84 - 1.25 skeins.

You have to give this pattern a try!

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Fran said...

Ouch, ouch, Barbara! Healing light to you and your DH.

Love that Burning Embers. So much so, I'm going to try it.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I'm even more embarassed: I was playing with Brodie the Devil Dog in the backyard and tore something in my right arm. Haven't been able to sleep without whimpering. I'm pathetic. Just started the requisite round of doctor/X-ray visits to see what's wrong. If it weren't for Percocet, I'd be screaming in agony. I think I should be the new president of the Stupid Injuries Club.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

May I be vice president, Nancy? OW!!! I'm so sorry. (Although oddly relieved that I'm not the only one.)

Fran, I know I'm an enabler but you're gonna LOVE it!

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - sorry to hear about your toe. My husband broke his toe last July 4th when the short ribs that I planned to barbecue for the big cookout, and had jammed awkwardly onto the top shelf of the freezer, fell out as he was getting the ice to put in the cooler. Doh!

Love the burning embers, very pretty!

5:41 PM  
Blogger dawnbrocco said...

Oh Barbara, poor toe and back!

I've broken a rib grabbing the bannister, to keep myself from falling down a flight of stairs, back when I was on Dexamethasone during chemo, and couldn't sleep, as the Dex dictated.

I have a thing for stairs, apparently, as before chemo was ever a glint in my eye, I fell down the basement stairs, all the while holding onto the heavy basket of laundry I was carrying down! Did I think to let GO of the basket? Nope, not on your life.

Did the back in good that time - so I am sympathizing with your hubby's pain!

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home