Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Question re neckline

Hi everyone and happiest of holidaze,  I have a knitting question.  I made a knit-from-the-top down v neck sweater out of cashsoft ( love this yarn so much I want to marry it.)  The sweater came out great EXCEPT that the neckline is a little bigger than I would like (it sort of falls in the back which annoys me.)  Is there anyway I can correct this or anything I can do to bring the neckline up a bit?  I don t know how to crochet (I thought of making a cool border).

Thanks, thanks and ho ho ho.
Caroline

3 Comments:

Blogger Nephele said...

You can use a smaller knitting needle to pick up stitches and then bind them off on the next round.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Oh, good idea! Thank you!

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it's just a bit too big, Nephele's suggestion will be all you need to do. If it's way too big, you can add several rounds of ribbing, decreasing at center front, center back, and shoulders. I recently finished a summertime shell that had a neckline that dipped below the BOTTOM of my bra band! (DH was thrilled.) I picked up stitches around the neckline, marking the center front, center back, and shoulder seams, then began a K2P2 ribbing. On every other row, I did a centered double decrease (SL 2 as if to K, K1, pass slipped stitches over) at each marker. After two inches, I bound off. Neckline is now high enough to be work without a cami or T underneath, and the garment doesn't slide off my shoulders. (DH is devastated, but he'll get over it.)

--Lynda in Oregon

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home