Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Kitsch



Yes, this is one of my favorite Christmas decorations. You can't tell from the still photo but his wings flap and his head turns . My husband refused to let me put him on the front porch so he sits on the bench right beside the back door, making me smile every time I enter or exit.

A dear reader friend, Elsie, got me addicted to penguins several years ago (even before I was awed by "March of the Penguins", an amazing movie). She sent me an e-card of New Year's resolutions. One of them was: Be kind to a penguin. For some reason, this struck me as hilarious, perhaps because it was amongst the more typical and prosaic "lose weight, call your mother more often, clean out your closets" list. Since then I've collected penguins.

(If you'd like to see the front of my house in the snow (sans penguins), click over to my solo blog here: http://fromthegarret.wordpress.com/)

My little flapping friend wishes all the Yarnies here a happy holiday season and wonderful 2009! Thanks so much for being part of the RTY community. It's such a pleasure to spend time with all of you.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is so cute, does he have a name? You probably see him more at the back door anyhow?
Merry Christmas!
Camry60

9:47 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

I have to show my daughter this -- she loves penguins, collects them, and even bought penguin covers for her car seats. (And let me tell you, it's a bit unnerving to sit upon the lap of a googly-eyed, leering penguin.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

You're right--I do see him more at the back door. However, the neighbors don't get to see him as much. ;-)

He doesn't have a name at present. Any suggestions anyone?

Ah, Laura, it's good to hear your daughter's a fellow penguin lover! I'd enjoy seeing her car seats. They sound unique.

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home