Friday, December 12, 2008

And one more thing . . .

Because when all is said and done, the gifts we remember are the handmade treasures and the books.

But Roy Blount, president of the Authors Guild, says it better than I can:

Holiday Message from Roy Blount Jr.: Buy Books From Your Local Bookstore, Now

December 11, 2008.

I've been talking to booksellers lately who report that times are hard. And local booksellers aren't known for vast reserves of capital, so a serious dip in sales can be devastating. Booksellers don't lose enough money, however, to receive congressional attention. A government bailout isn't in the cards.

We don't want bookstores to die. Authors need them, and so do neighborhoods. So let's mount a book-buying splurge. Get your friends together, go to your local bookstore and have a book-buying party. Buy the rest of your Christmas presents, but that's just for starters. Clear out the mysteries, wrap up the histories, beam up the science fiction! Round up the westerns, go crazy for self-help, say yes to the university press books! Get a load of those coffee-table books, fatten up on slim volumes of verse, and take a chance on romance!

There will be birthdays in the next twelve months; books keep well; they're easy to wrap: buy those books now. Buy replacements for any books looking raggedy on your shelves. Stockpile children's books as gifts for friends who look like they may eventually give birth. Hold off on the flat-screen TV and the GPS (they'll be cheaper after Christmas) and buy many, many books. Then tell the grateful booksellers, who by this time will be hanging onto your legs begging you to stay and live with their cat in the stockroom: "Got to move on, folks. Got some books to write now. You see...we're the Authors Guild."

Enjoy the holidays.
Roy Blount Jr. President Authors Guild

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, let's see. I think I bought about 25 books so far in December. I think that's a good start. :)

2:32 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Hear! Hear!

Just got back from Barnes and Noble myself.

Now I'm going to hit Amazon.

And I've already been to my local indie bookseller.

3:32 PM  
Blogger momsue84 said...

We are doing our part, too. In a family of avid readers, books are arriving all the time. I swear our son supports our local bookstore all by himself. All those nights of reading to him when he was little, when I was so tired I could hardly hold my head up, sure payed off. WE read, nay devour, books!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

I don't even want to think how much I spend on books! My husband says I should have a blister on my nose from always having it in a book. LOL! But as I say on my Delphi Books site, "Books are the most exotic, least expensive vacation you can take."

7:19 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

I forgot to tell you, Barbara. I bought a copy of Casting Spells for my LYS owner, who literally gives me yarn(s) off her sale table for giveaways here. She'll love the story as much as well all did, I'm sure.

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When the SIL called, making out her shopping list for Chistmas, I told her she could always fall back on a Barnes & Noble gift card for me. But I have to admit, I haven't bought any books this month. Things have gotten a bit tighter since the hubby retired from the Navy, and he has not yet found a civilian job (that doesn't require us to pack up and move to another state).

8:21 AM  
Blogger cksknitter said...

I went and got Casting Spells after reading your blog. Good advice!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Lovs2Knit said...

We are avid book buyers. Reading is a favorite past time in our house. I think there are enough books here to start our own book store with a super big kids section. As soon as the weather clears up, (blowing snow and sub zero temps), I'm headin' out to pick up your new book. :) Plus we are donating books to kids who can't afford them.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Cathy, my husband is retired Army and I found the public library was a terrific place to feed my reading habit during those difficult transition months. Please thank him for his service and pat yourself on the back for playing the supportive role.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my daughter, who is a first grade teacher told us that she and her co-teacher bought 2 book for each child for christmas presents. They have 31 kids in the class, but did get a teacher discount.

camry60

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home