Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Sunny Desi Potholders

I was going to make a sweater for my mother for Christmas. I bought the yarn, found a pattern, was all set to go. And then I realized that I had about a week left before I needed to put gifts in the mail and it was time to come to my senses. I turned to an old standby -- potholders!

I think one of the first crafts I did was latchhook -- I have vague memories of latchhooking some truly ugly potholders. These, on the other hand, are not ugly. At least I don't think so. With a S. Asian color scheme and theme; crocheted, with some embroidered flowers. One attempt at a hibiscus (maybe looks more like a palm tree, but tropical at least, right?), and some little flowers that I will persist in calling jasmine blossoms.




Hopefully my mom will actually use these, instead of 'saving them for good,' as she is wont to do. And maybe in January, I can actually start a sweater for her for next Christmas...

5 Comments:

Blogger georg said...

In April, I will start my Kissmoose knitting.

I have an obligation due in March to start on January 1. I have a couple of obligations I really ought to do before leaping whole heartedly into other knitting... I'm just dragging my feet about them because they are Obligations.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Mary Anne Mohanraj said...

Obligations? I'm not sure what you mean -- are they for charity? Or just relatives you feel obliged to knit for?

10:10 AM  
Blogger georg said...

I belong to a medieval/renaissance group. At the end of March is a competition that I can enter a researched project. I have a stocking half done based on a 1542 Spanish stocking, in laceweight and knee high. I have promised people I'd do it. Because it's laceweight, it's taking for fricking ever and it's a complicated pattern to boot. If this link works, it'll give you an idea: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2032/2470918952_30ef4feca0.jpg?v=0

I have an embroidery commissioned piece with no deadline- but because there is no deadline I don't want to work on it. However, she's waiting for it, and I really need to make it a priority because I promised. When there is more of it worth taking pictures of, I'll blog it, but it's so not there- only in a design stage. It's not knitting, so it's... well, not as interesting right now.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Mary Anne Mohanraj said...

Ah, I understand. That stocking is totally gorgeous, though as I'm intimidated by the sockweight yarn I just got, I can't even imagine attempting laceweight. Someday. Look forward to seeing your completed piece!

2:56 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Those are lovely! Your touches of embroidery on all your projects add the most wonderful flair.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home